GO!

Black & White Cat Breeds

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 2:23pm PST 
There's theory (just a theory, mind you) that black and white cats tend to be well-liked and more social than cats of other colors. They are also said to be more common in urban environments, while tabbies are more common in rural areas. A black and white cat has few natural predators in a city, while a tabby's coloration helps it to blend in with its surroundings. I don't know whether any of this is true, but black and white cats are very popular, and as for tabbies, they're sort of the most generic of all cats...the first cats were probably tabby types, and it's said that if you breed a feral colony long enough, they'll all end up being tabbies.
[notify]

Abby

I squeak- therefore I am

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 11:30am PST 
Let me put in a word for the beauty of the domestic medium haired tuxedo cat: as Goldilocks might say, our amount of hair is "just right."

I have some white on my face--it's a little asymmetrical--with more on one side than the other), plus my throat, chin and tummy are all white and I have four white paws--a real tuxedo coat with dress shoes. (Though the occasional white hair hides out in my otherwise smooth black coat.)

I'm actually a rather skittish Kitty--my human parents adopted me from the humane society and don't know much about my past. But I certainly enjoy playing a lot, plus lots of petting (especially from my human dad).
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 4:03pm PST 
One thing I love about black and white cats, especially the ones with a lot of white, is the unusual patterns that the black patches can make. I'd love to have a black and white cat with interesting patterns, but for some reason it hasn't been in the stars for me. I was hoping that my Maine Coons would produce some black and whites, as their mother did, but my tortie and white queens have less of the white spotting factor than their calico mother did, so no go. Maybe...maybe...sometime in the future I'll get another cat...
[notify]

Nellie

mom\'s little- girl

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 4:42pm PST 
I am a black and white cat too. My back, tail and the top of head by my eyes and ears are all black fur. My chin, chest, front legs, paws and whole under side is all white fur. If you look at me it looks like i am wearing a mask on my face. i am very sociable i love to be around people.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 7:24pm PST 
I am a black and white guy but what is neat with me is when you pull my black hair back the roots are actually white! I can't remember what the vet called it but there is a name for it.

I am a basic Domestic Long Hair, even though I was feral when I was a kitten I could be seen with my mom that was a yellow short haired tabby and my sister is a mostly white calico, so I must have gotten my looks and hair from my dad, whoever he was.....
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 10:49pm PST 
You sure are a gorgeous kitty! I want to hug you right now! When a cat's fur has white (not grey) roots but the upper part of each hair is a different color, it's called "smoke" coloration in the cat world. I would guess that your coloration is black smoke and white, since you have a white bib and booties. That would be due to the white spotting gene, which would also account for your sister's being a calico. If your mother was a red tabby, that's somewhat unusual in females for genetic reasons. If she had no white on her, she probably had a cat with white in her ancestry, or Dadcat had the white spotting gene. And that's about as far as my knowledge of cat color genetics goes.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Dec 4, '10 5:44am PST 
Thank you Leila! it was bugging the heck out of me!laugh out loud
[notify]

Riley

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 10:36am PST 
I have a tuxedo kitty he's a domestic shorthair. He has the shorter hair but his sister at the shelter had long hair. Riley has very unique coloring, if you look in light his fur looks like its turning a dark red or brown so he must be mixed.
[notify]

Jack- Teagarden

Loving My- Furrever Home

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 10:58am PST 
Jack and his sister Jill are black and white cats, but probably fall into the "Cow Cat" type of black and white cats. Jack has a really funny tail....if you look at him from the front it is solid black, but if you look at it from the back it is gray and black tabby stripes. They are VERY loving, and enjoy cuddling on my lap and sleeping with me. Jill has "adopted" my newest kitten Lizzie, and grooms her head and ears, last night Lizzie realized Jill would like her to groom her also, so she did and it was very cute to watch.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2