GO!

Normal 6 Month Old Weight?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Malibu

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 6:15pm PST 
I weighed Malibu today (I used the weigh myself, then weigh myself holding her method which I have found to match the vet's scale) and she weighs 7 lbs! Is this normal for a 6 month old female kitten?

She is also growing quite the spectacular coat and she's very heavy-boned so we are wondering if she may be a Maine Coon. She has the extra fur on her ears and on her paws too. Are there any physical attributes unique to the Maine Coon?
[notify]

Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 9:14pm PST 
Sounds great as they are supposed to gain a pound a month for a while....until when I forget.
[notify]

Backstep

B the change U- want to C in the- world

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 3:38am PST 
What does your vet say? How muscular are you? If you are healthy, there isn't anything to worry about. Some cats are built to be bean poles and some are built to be cement blocks.

Us kittens are 16 weeks old (4 months) and our weights are:
me - 5 pounds - - just a regular short hair cat
Purrsuit - 3 pounds - - very small built and all hair
Quest - 6 pounds - - very muscular short haired cat
Chaser - 4 pounds - medium built medium haired cat

Is it me, or do all long haired cats weigh less than short haired cats? Are they skinny because it takes so much energy to grow hair? thinking

Main Coons grow for 5 years. I think they reach sexual maturity later than other cats too, but I could be wrong.

Edited by author Fri Dec 4, '09 3:46am PST

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 3:58am PST 
Hi Backstep! I've noticed that too about the long and short haired cats. Both my guys are the same age and have been eating exactly the same food since they were ~ 12 weeks old, but the short haired one weighs almost 3 lbs more than the long haired one. Looking at them, they look the same size, but Shade is all hair!

Malibu, I think that sounds like a fine weight for your kitten. She's still young enough to let her eat as much as she wants to fuel her growth and kitten engery.

Edited by author Fri Dec 4, '09 3:59am PST

[notify]

spike

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 7:23am PST 
Spike got neutered last month at 6 mnths old and he weighed a little over 6lbs. So i think that is a good weight...spike feels a little pudgy to me lol
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 12:01pm PST 
I think 6 lbs in 6 months is purrrfect according to what our breeder told us. It usually depends on what your breed is.
Japanese bobtails should be around 8-9 lbs for a full grown female, and 9-10 lbs for a male full grown. Maine coons are very large cats so check the stats on the cat.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 3:38pm PST 
Yes, Malibu looks like a Maine Coon or MC mix. Look at the size of her paws! She has MC eyes and the MC muzzle, too. As for her weight, MC females tend to be smaller than the males--they average 9-12 pounds when adult, and they are said to take several years to attain their adult size. I can't answer your question regarding the "normal" 6 month old weight for a cat, because it depends on a cat's breed or genetic heritage, not to mention childhood nutrition, etc. But Malibu is a big cat. Since you're trying to adopt her out, and MCs are so popular, I think you can feel justified in calling her a Maine Coon--it might help her find a new family. By the way, her pupils reflect the light of the flash differently and appear to be different colors. Cats with eyes of different colors are called "odd-eyed" and prized by cat enthusiasts. Odd-eyed cats tend to have more white in their coat than Malibu (all-white, calico, or bicolor with the white predominating), but her photos make her appear odd-eyed. Odd-eyed cats are said to be lucky, at least in Japan, where I live.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 3:44pm PST 
Backstep--Yes, MCs do tend to reach sexual maturity somewhat later than other cats. I run a small cattery, and have four intact females. When they go into heat, they are very subtle about it. I once had a short haired moggie who went into heat for the first time very early, and she screamed non-stop for three days before the vet could schedule her for her spay operation.
[notify]

Malibu

Purred: Fri Dec 4, '09 6:17pm PST 
Harvey - yes, Malibu is odd-eyed. Her right eye is blue and her left is green. I'd say that she's 35-40% white with a ticked pattern.
Also, I just measured her from tip of nose to beginning of her tail (stretched out like in shows) and she's 22 inches, the same size as my 5 yr old 13 lb male cat.
[notify]

Backstep

B the change U- want to C in the- world

Purred: Sun Dec 6, '09 9:22am PST 
I thought so Leila.

Momma has wanted a MC for ever, but us cats have had a way of showing up and moving in M shock L!

BTW our momma cat is 8 pounds and healthy.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3