GO!

is my kitten a domestic shorthair/bengal mix???

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Greenlee (In- Loving- Memory)

I'm sweet as- sugar but I can- be a spice!

Purred: Fri Sep 18, '09 5:32pm PST 
click on the X!!!! ANYWAY, I KNOW I ASKED THIS QUESTION A COUPLE TIMES. BUT, I SEARCHED THE ADVANCED SEARCH FOR BENGAL/DSH MIX FOUND LOTS THAT LOOK LIKE GREENLEE! THIS PARTICULAR ONE BLEW MY MIND! IT LOOKS IDENTICAL TO GREENLEE. PICTURES DON'T SHOW GREENLEES PERSONALITY AND HER STRIPES ARE ALMOST LIKE SILVER NOT BROWN smile FEEL FREE TO DO THE SEARCH I DID! SOOO... IN YOUR CATS/OWNERS OPINION DO THESE CATS AND THE ONE IN PARTICULAR LOOK LIKE GREENLEE? I LOVE GREENLEE AND LOVE HER WHATEVER SHE MAY BE. I DON'T CARE IF SHE'S A BENGAL MIX OR NOT. I JUST REALLY WANNA KNOW BEACAUSE I'M VERY CURIOUS!!! CLICK ON GREENLEES PICTURE FOR MORE PICS AND INFO!!! THANXS!!!!!

link to identical DSH/Bengal mix
[notify]

Ringo

MIA

Purred: Sat Sep 19, '09 3:26am PST 
NO, I think, would bet money on it, the other kitty owner is mistaken as well. Bengals that are not neutered would be reserved for breeding purebred kittens for show or profit, not running around breeding indiscriminately. There are not many of them, besides which since they are hybrids of domestic cat and Asian Leopard cat many of them aren't even fertile, and the breeders have to work to get breeder cats that are. Many times a pet adoption agency will list spotted tabbies as "part Bengal" or even 100% Bengal to attract more attention to them, but they are just mackerel tabbies--not that there's anything wrong with that! (Look at me!)
Look at bengalcat.com, the Bengal Cat Associations page, and you will see that there is a big difference between your kitty and a Bengal--even the 'marble' Bengals are not striped like any kind of regular tabby, like you and me.

Edited by author Sat Sep 19, '09 3:34am PST

[notify]

Pea

Just call me- Little Pea.

Purred: Sat Sep 19, '09 4:19am PST 
I would say both you and the other kitty are tabbies, very gorgeous tabbies!
[notify]

Blaze- (Striped- Seven)

TICA MS. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sun Sep 20, '09 7:31am PST 
I don't think you're part Bengal. You are a very pretty classic tabby though!

Check out Blaze's page, he is very silvery-colored brown tabby. Also check Church's page, you guys have similar faces!
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Sun Sep 20, '09 7:31am PST 
Here is Church's page. smile
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Tue Sep 22, '09 1:18pm PST 
Ringo is right. The reason your kitten looks so much like the picture you found is because that owner is mistaken as well. That other cat is most certainly not a Bengal mix but a very pretty classic tabby. People who have been around show Bengals know they do not really look like domestic tabbies at all. Shelters really do just slap a breed label or "mix" label on to their kitties to increase their marketing appeal. "Mixes" are more likely to be adopted even if they are not a mix at all but simply labeled as one so they look special. There are no Bengal mixes really and if you find a cat labeled as one, someone is mistaken or lying. Purebred Bengals do not cross breed with domestics intentionally and if one managed to get lost and breed, without papers it would not be an identified purebred Bengal anyway so calling the resulting kittens "Bengal mixes" would be a big assumption.
[notify]

Gabielle

Tons of toes!

Purred: Wed Sep 23, '09 5:28pm PST 
What they all said.

Bengals aren't the most common, and aren't going to be roaming the streets impregnating random non-pedigree strays. The vast majority of cats that aren';t from breeders , are domestics.

And a domestic shorthair is a fancy way of saying a "mix breed". When a mix breed has offspring, they're still mix breeds regardless if the other parent was pure or not.
[notify]

Noble

Everyone loves- an orange tabby.

Purred: Thu Sep 24, '09 12:07pm PST 
A domestic shorthair is a mixed breed cat. It's a fancy way of saying Mutt in the cat world.

Anyway, I doubt your cat has bengal in her. It's not a common breed and I myself have never seen one "bengal" that was actually a bengal. Though, sadly, it seems to be a marketing term. They sell since they're "rare", I suppose.

shrug
[notify]

Persia

What Breed am I?- A dog in a cats- body?

Purred: Thu Sep 24, '09 9:28pm PST 
From what i have seen of the bengals they have somewhat long slinder boadies with leopard spots some have the stripes. I would guess your cat to be a tabby also. I would love to have a cat that looked like a leopard or little mini tiger lol.. that would be awesome..
[notify]

LepoardStar Genie

little weirdo!

Purred: Sat Sep 26, '09 10:07am PST 
have you ever been to a catshow, greenlee? Purebred Bengals look alot diffrent in person then in pictures. They are silky to the touch with a smooth coat. There pelt "glitters" or is shiny like gold. they have very distinct faces and long hing legs. None have white on them.

sorry, but i still dont see any bengal in her. she is a very pretty marbled tabby and white.

If you spent as much time around purebred cats as well as moggies, you will learn to spot the traits purebred and mixes share. Purebred showcats are quite breathtaking, and way diffrent in looks then a DSH.

not saying theres anything wrong with a moggy. i have 3, and just added a Purebred Bengal. she is a pet, and will be spayed. I cant really imagen anyone letting a purebred Bengal mate with random cats, or let them outside. breeding purebred cats are hard to find and cost ALOT. way more then most people spend on a cat just to have.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2