GO!

When does a kitten become a cat?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Belle

It's this fur,- it's makes me- look puffy!

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:00pm PST 
I was just wondering.... When does a kitten becomes a cat? Or around what age do they become an adulte? thinking

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '08 4:00pm PST

[notify]

Schroeder

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:02pm PST 
I've read that they do 90% of their growing in the first 6 months, so some people count that as cathood, but others believe it's when the kitten turns a year old. But, hey, I can definetly tell you, at 6 months, they may look like an adult cat, but they sure don't act like it!
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:37pm PST 
I agree with Shroeder. Izzie is 8 months old and although he really doesn't look like a kitten anymore, he sure acts like one. Ernie is about 1 1/2 years old and he is much more mature, if that's possible for a cat and settled in his ways. Physically, I've heard that cats can keep growing and/or "filling out" until they are two, but that they are mostly as big as they'll get at a year.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:43pm PST 
It really depends on when they slow down. Boris acted like a kitten all the way up to December, at 15 months old, then all of a sudden he started being more adaptable and pliable. He's still plenty playful, just a lot more patient rather than petulant when it comes to wanting attention: he knows he will get it, so he doesn't meow for it non-stop anymore.
[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 7:01pm PST 
common belief is 1 year. killer gained 2 more lbs between10-13m of age. morti is about 1om so i expect about 2 lbs more from her as well. but they don't finish bulking up til they are 2. with your bigger breeds like maine coons, wegies or vans they don't finish filling out till they are 5!
[notify]

Skeeter

Mr.- SnuggleUpAgainst

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 8:07pm PST 
I am almost 6 months old and Mom says I really look like a teenager, neither a kitten nor an adult. I am skinny and gawky, with long legs and big paws, just like a 14 year old boy. Mom and Dad think I will be a big guy before I finish growing! And I still act like a kitten!
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 12:32am PST 
Skeeter, now that my weight has stabilized somewhat, mom recently went back on old digital photos she has of me as a runty skinny 6 month old cat (which is when mom and dad got me), and realized that they should have known I would grow into a big and long cat by the size of my tail.

She says that I was all tail back then, and it's the only part of me that hasn't grown an inch, but the rest of me sure caught up with it with a vengeance! laugh out loud Mom wonders if that's true of all cats (she knows that with puppies, you can tell their final size by how big their paws are, so she wonders if cat tails are the cat equivalent of doggy paws).
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '08 6:49am PST 
When I rescued Izzie last summer, one of the things EVERYONE commented on was his beautiful(Maine Coon) tail. It was bigger than he was and very fluffy. It almost looked like another cat! I've heard that Maine Coon tails are as long or longer than their bodies. Over the past 4 1/2 months, Iz has grown "into" his tail. Because he is a mix, his tail isn't quite as fluffy or impressive as our friends Maggie and Loki, but it serves Izzie well on cold winter nights. As for the dog paws/cat tails thing, we once had a Golden who the vet said would be "very large" because she had big feet. As it turned out, she was about normal size for a Golden, and simply had BIG FEET! They did keep her from blowing over in the wind...big laugh Izzie also has large paws and my vet said he would be a big cat. He's 8 months old and I'd guestimate that he weighs 8 pounds, so by the time he's 2, he'll be a force to be reckoned with (and probably eating us out of house and home.) way to go
[notify]

Nicholas D.- Wolfwood

MEEEEEEEEEEEEOOO- OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW- W

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '08 9:35am PST 
Depends what yo mean, do you mean when are they fully grown or when do they stop having kitten behvaiors? The first one is about 1 year odl the second one is about 3 years old but some cats never grow out of their kitten-ness!
[notify]

Foucault

Sir Purrs-a-lot

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '08 10:19pm PST 
Oh boy does that mean I'll get bigger! big grin

Mom and Dad say I am the cat version of a teenager for sure. I have no boundaries and I am a little defiant. I am up all night and sleep most of the day. I'm hungry all the time too. Sure sounds like the teens I know! laugh out loud
[notify]