GO!

CKD 15 yr old kitty

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Purred: Mon Sep 10, '12 2:58pm PST 
HELP! I have a 15 yr old male cat with early stages of CKD.He was hyperthyroid and we had his thyroid irradiated about a year ago. He also has megacolon and with vet direction I add some o/c laxative to his food daily. I have been reading Dr. Piersons info re raw/partially cooked food plus supplements.I have to admit I am overwhelmed. Can I just find a simple recipe that I don't need a grinder for and some readily available supplements to add so I can get started. He is very picky and still somewhat thin. Right now he is eating Science diet dry food that is supposed to help with kidney issues. Yes, I know dry is bad but gotta get him to eat. Also have tried numerous canned foods from expensive to inexpensive...still finnicky. Can someone help me? Please... I want to help him. Also, would prefer if another cat of same age but without the health problems can eat the same food...... Please...
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Sep 10, '12 6:29pm PST 
I suppose the easiest raw method would be to use store bought whole cuts of raw meat (like a chicken breast instead of ground chicken), cut it up into small chunks yourself with a knife if you don't have a grinder, and then add in a pre-mix such as TC Feline or Better In The Raw. The pre-mix contains all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs.

You could also do the "frankenyprey model" raw diet which is feeding 80% raw meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs. You can post in the raw food forum for more info about this.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 2:22pm PST 
Just wondering what folks with cats with CKD are feeding them. Canned, raw, ??? I try the canned foods but have trouble with him eating them....... I know they should eat lower protein and phosphorous. Not sure if even raw diet would meet that criteria..... Would love to hear form CKD kitty owners. Is this posted in right place? Dr. Peterson says she is coming out with an updated food list. I had used Tracy's before...... Need help... thanks!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 4:47pm PST 
You'll get more responses if you post in the Food and Nutrition forum: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 11:00pm PST 
Hi! Are you the Pat who left a message on the chat box on Kaci's page? Sorry to take so long to reply but I haven't been here in a few days and only read your message tonight.

Kaci has CKD too and eats canned food. She doesn't like the prescription canned foods and because she has issues with not wanting to eat, I feed her the foods she will eat. It's a mixed bag of of brands: Wellness, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Pro Plan and Fancy Feast (her favorite). One of the biggest issues with CKD cats is loss of appetite. Too many CKD cats starve themselves and it's a leading cause of their death. Most of the advice I've received is to feed your CKD cat whatever he or she will eat. If your cat will only eat dry food, so be it.

So sorry, but I know nothing about feeding a raw or homemade diet but other posters gave you helpful links. Kaci doesn't get any supplements but I know others give Azodyl or other probiotics.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:17pm PST 
If your cat will eat raw it would be great for her. But it's hard to go from dry to raw - if she won't eat canned she may not touch raw. It's worth a try though because you can keep the phosphorus low. BTW, it's a fallacy that a kidney kitty should have low protein - it's the phosphorus that matters. You should be adding a phosphorus binder to her food to keep those levels low.

I know someone who got a raw ecipe from Dr. Pierson for a CKD kitty. PM me if you're interested and I'll try to dig it up.
[notify]

Chrystal & Kirsten

The Twins

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 8:09pm PST 
Here is a very easy recipe for a cat with kidney disease. It makes a large amount, so you can freeze some for later. There are actually a lot of great recipes out there, but I think this one would be best for your cat.

1 cup water
1 cup chicken hearts
1 cup ground beef
1 cup organic brown rice
1 cup beef heart
1 cup ground chicken
1 cup oat bran cereal
1 tbsp calcium supplement
2 tbsp fish oil
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jun 6, '13 5:58am PST 
I would be careful here - this recipe doesn't seem balanced to me. A cat has no use for bran or rice - those are just carbs which are very unhealthy. A balanced raw diet would be much better. Please see catinfo.org for more info.
[notify]

Kimberly- (10-11-96/5-- 23-13)

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:53pm PST 
You can soak his Science Diet in hot water (dry food soaks better when hot water is used as opposed to cold water) and serve it soaked. This will also help make sure your cat is taking in enough water.
[notify]