GO!

Is there a way to home-prepare food without a grinder?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Zelda

*chocobo mew*

Purred: Wed Jun 22, '11 7:18am PST 
Hello!

Is there any way to prepare food from home without a grinder? I want to cook for Zelda, but I can't afford a grinder. She is currently eating wet food mixed with cat milk replacer, but she will be weened very soon, I think. Any advice? Thanks everyone.

Zelda
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jun 22, '11 8:56am PST 
When you say home prepare, do you mean raw? You can do what raw feeders call "Frankenprey" where you don't have to grind, you just feed pieces of meat, bone and organ. But I'm not sure that's what you're asking! thinking
[notify]

Zelda

*chocobo mew*

Purred: Wed Jun 22, '11 1:00pm PST 
Hi BK-

Originally I wanted to cook her meat, because I am concerned about foodbourne illness (plus I am a longtime vegetarian, and don't know anything about safe meat handling practices), but a raw diet is also a possibility. I know that there is a specific ratio of meat-bone-organ that a cat must be fed, and that bone must be fed raw, but other than that I am open to any and all suggestions on how I can prepare Zelda's food, either raw or cooked. That "Frankenprey" sounds like another viable possibility for us! Where do you get the bones and organs? Thanks for your help!

Zelda
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jun 23, '11 12:39pm PST 
Zelda, I can only speak to raw because that's all I know about. I did write an article for Alex's mom's website that covers all the basics about raw feeding so you can take a look and see if it's for you: http://ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

I order BK's meat from Hare-Today or get it from my local Greenmarket because of his allergies, but plenty of people feed raw from the regular grocery store.

Let me just say that I took a look around the web once to see what people recommended for cooked homemade food because I know raw isn't for everyone, and I was really frightened by what I found out there. People are feeding their cats species inappropriate foods and not worrying about balance and nutrition. If you do decide to cook make sure you find a fully balanced nutritional recipe before you go ahead. And if I can help in any way with further info don't hesitate to post or send me a p-mail!
[notify]

Zelda

*chocobo mew*

Purred: Sat Jun 25, '11 8:49am PST 
Thanks for your help, BK! I'm going to shoot you a message right now wave
[notify]