GO!

Let's get down to brass tacks

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Wyll

I play online- poker when- nobody's lookin

Purred: Fri May 18, '07 12:33pm PST 
Hi there, I've lived with my human for about two years now. (Almost three.) She used to bottle feed me and everything. But now I'm a big, strong, cross-eyed, pain in the tail.

My human has read that we Himalayans are a mix of Persians and Siamese. Is that true? Are their any health concerns particular to those breeds that we should be thinking about. She's heard something about Siamese having difficulty with their teeth and sensitive digestive tracts.

Thoughts? Comments?

Pie?

I like pie.
[notify]

Kina

Queen of the- Castle

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '07 9:44pm PST 
you look just like me. Welcome!!
[notify]

Iris

I'm done with- you, leave me- alone.

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '07 9:59am PST 
Hi Wyll,
I had heard as well that Himalayan's were a mix of Siamese and Persians. This does come with a few health issues. The main one for me is my teeth- because of the shape of our faces saliva is not easily able to move in our mouths so we tend to have a lot of problems with tarter, plaque and gum infections. I hadn't particuarly heard of a more sensitive stomach than other cats, I thought vomiting was just part of being a feline. It seems my human is cleaning up my hairballs and vomit at least as often as the other cat's in my house. But by being well groomed, if you can stand that sort of thing, hairballs are significantly decreased. And I'm not sure from which side of our ancestry this comes, but Himalayans also have thinner, more sensitive skin. So make sure your human is careful when grooming and clipping because our delicate skin is more easily irritated and injured.
Those are the only health issues with which I or my human have had any experience, though I'm sure there are others.
[notify]

Pandora

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '08 10:41am PST 
Persians are particularly vulnerable to PKD, a kidney disease. Since Himmies are part of the Persian breed, I would extrapolate that Himmies are also at risk. Here is a site with good info on PKD.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health/pkd.html
[notify]

Mylo- 1989-2009

Sweet Bridge- Angel

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 8:47am PST 
Here is what we know from experience!!!

I have Inflammatory Bowel disease, always had a problem with my GI tract since a young age. I have vomited all my life.
All of the Persians and Himmies at our house have had gum problems. Felica had kidney disease, but only when she turned 19, so her kidneys held up well!
Yes, we are a cross between Persians and Siamese.
[notify]