GO!

OMG - Furminator - endless process or what???

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ember, aka- Soul Fuzzer

Kitty Kismet- arrived on the- Cosmic Wind

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 11:51am PST 
I got a Furminator yesterday, just tried it out this morning after cleaning Em's ears (figured since she was already annoyed with me, might as well get all the dirty work out of the way at once, lol). I got a nice pile of furs, but I'm telling you, it just keeps coming! Every stroke yields a full wad of hairs to be pulled off the teeth of the Furminator. I quit because I was frankly tired of the seemingly endless process and I didn't want to rake her bald or anything. Then when she jumped up on the couch with me an hour later, she's still shedding as much as ever. Like all the combing didn't make any impact on how much she sheds. Maybe I didn't do it enough. She seemed to enjoy it. How much is too much? How do you know when to say when? thinking
[notify]

Monet

Gotcha on- Memorial Day

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 1:32pm PST 
The furminator is a great deshedder tool. I use it 2 or 3 times a week on my cats. It can and will make the fur too thin if you use it too often.

I'd brush with the furminator 2-3 times a week, and use a regular square wire brush every day. It may take time. but hope it helps!
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 5:36pm PST 
we have furminator too. but mom hardly ever uses it. we dont like furminator and yes i agree with you ember it does take out alot of fur. my mom uses a regular brush to brush us. and she also uses a grooming glove to remove loose or dead hair. my cats luv the grooming glove cause its like she petting us.
[notify]

Ember, aka- Soul Fuzzer

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 2:51pm PST 
OMIGOSH - so you really *could* bald your kitty with this thing? I thought that once all the loose hairs were removed that you would stop getting combfuls of hair and you would obviously then be done? Jeez, glad I stopped when I did then. I could've had a neked kitty. cry
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 8:39pm PST 
that exactly what mom thought at first so she kept using it but it still pulls out huge wads of our fur. it was really expensive too. our regular everyday brush does better job than furminator
[notify]

Ember, aka- Soul Fuzzer

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 9:19pm PST 
Our Furminator was free, thank God. They're like $38 new. shock
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '11 6:59am PST 
We think the Furminator (well, ours is an $8 knockoff, but the same thing) is great, but you do have to be cvery careful not to bald a kitty with it. meowma was watching TV while furminating Ahab, and he was loving it--she looked down and the fur over his shoulders was, um,,,see through laugh out loud Worse yet, when it got close to time to take him home, his mommy called to tell Meowma to wash him up, and just bring him to the cat show eek Meowma was embarrassed to death tho tell that he would be nekkid in spots red face
[notify]

Tiny Dancer

"I am kitty,- hear me roar . .- ."

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '11 8:16pm PST 
I use the Furminator sparingly. And when I use it (on my gang 'o 10), I use it lightly and not "dig in" at all as that will pull hair out from its roots.

It's tempting, though - seems as if you're getting all the shedding - hey, that rhymed! shock done when you're putting the Furminator all the way to the skin... it's just irritating the skin.

Just a light, over-the-top type of furminating is the best. You'll still get endless fur, but be sure to never get all the way down to the skin; not necessary and will, indeed, pull hair out from the roots.

Seriously (from experience) and mommy being Red Cross certified in dog and cat first aid,

~ Tiny D. big hug
[notify]

Pickles &- Cinders

Look at me! - Look at me!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 11:32am PST 
I love my Furminator, but yes you can overdo it! I found some thin patches on Pickles flanks from brushing too often. But I will say that it has decreased shedding, and my cats love it! They come when they see the brush, and will let me brush for 5 minutes or so before getting restless. Cinders doesn't shed quite as much, but it has decreased the hairballs I usually find a few days a week.

Also, if you're looking for own check Amazon. I found mine for $20, and it was worth every penny!
[notify]

Gabby

Magnificence

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 8:28pm PST 
The Furminator does an amazing job of removing the undercoat. (If used over-zealously it can nearly remove all the undercoat, leaving a *sparse* looking fur.)
I am a never ending groom job.

We use the furminator about once a week on me, the zoom groom and a wire 'paddle' slant brush or a mid gap teethed metal comb on me in between.
(I don't like the wire brush or the furminator on my stomach)
The furminator is fantastic for *teething* out little starter mats. (and my cotton candy fur loves to try to mat up)
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2