GO!

Grooming (4 cats all longhaired)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:47am PST 
Okay well as you all know I have 4 male kitties. An they all get mats. I have a Ragdoll, Maine Coon, Norweigan Forest Cat, and a LaPerm. shock Lots of hair to deal with!

At the moment I am using Oatmeal Shampoo. I am trying to get my kitties furr Soft/Silky and Fluffy(not like show fluffy but just fluffy). So I am just curious to know how I can achieve this for my kitties. Also if anyone could reccomend what type of brushes and combs to use that would be great as well. Thank you everyone for the help smile
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Jul 16, '11 1:11pm PST 
I use Les Pooches brand shampoo and it gets my kitties very silky and fluffy including my Maine Coon Roxy. I know for males a lot of people use a degreaser before they shampoo because the male Maine Coons and similar breeds tend to get greasy.
As far as brushes I don't really use any sorry. I sometimes use a metal flea comb or a greyhound type comb on Roxy but she doesn't have the type of coat that gets mats. The most she ever gets are little tangles underneath her ears which I use the metal flea comb to comb out.
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Jul 18, '11 9:49am PST 
You can use Dawn dish detergent(the BLUE colored one), yes.. I know it sounds kind of harsh but its good for degreasing and fluffing.
We use it sometimes. But the products we like best are made by F1R2 Laboratories .
Just google it and the web site will come up.
We use F1R2 Super scrub, and F1R2 Snowburst

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 9:53am PST

[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Jul 18, '11 9:50am PST 
You can use Dawn dish detergent, yes.. I know it sounds kind of harsh but its good for degreasing and fluffing.
We use it sometimes. But the products we like best are made by F1R2.
Just google it and the web site will come up.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 4:23pm PST 
Thank you so much for the advice guys. I recently had to give my Emmy a lion type of cut because his mats are just horrific. cry I swear I brush him out everyday sometimes twice a day and he still get many knots all over his back.

I am gonna try the dawn dish soap idea. It can't be too harsh thats what they use for oil spills, right?
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 11:24am PST 
Right. Alot of people that have "show" cats use Dawn.
I know this post was back in July, but just make sure you rinse till the cows come home.
You can even use a white vinegar and water rinse after completely rinsed out for some extra squeeky ness.. then rinse again after that with clear water.
[notify]

Smokey

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 6:09pm PST 
you should first mist them, and rub them down with your hands to get them wet, but not soaked. Then, shampoo them with a natural oatmeal shampoo, like you are. After that, rinse the cats. Then, use a misting bottle with condtioner mixed in, and mist the cat down. Rinse it again, and then dry with a towel or blow dryer. If you want any more advice, read the following books:

ASPCA cat care guide
Grooming the stubborn cat
Long haired grooming: Cats

Hope I helped!!smile
[notify]

Fry

Philip J. Fry

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 8:51am PST 
Shortly after we got Fry I noticed a mat under his arm and one on his leg - even though we were brushing him daily. After carefully cutting them out (with little cuticle scissors) we gave him a bath with Dawn.

I love Dawn.

Its been weeks since that bath and there have been no more mats. NONE! We brush his long hair only like twice a week now.
[notify]

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '11 11:30am PST 
Greasy fur causes more mats. My Maine Coons were sired by Legend and Umesaburo. Umesaburo produces kittens that tend to be greasy and get matted quickly. Legend's children all have fur that is silky and doesn't need to be shampooed regularly. It took me a long while to realize that Umesaburo's children were having mat problems because they were greasy. Regular shampooing helps.

Mats must be detangled, if your cat will allow it. You can use scissors to cut the uppermost part of the mat, if you are VERY careful and take care not to cut the skin that is pulled up with the mat. Another handy tool is a seam ripper (the kind you have in your sewing box). After using scissors or a seam ripper to "start" the detangling, open the mat with your fingers. A wide toothed comb will help get the mat out, but may cause your cat to feel some pain. Regular shampooing and use of a metal comb will help prevent mats from forming. Take it from one who has learned the hard way.
[notify]