GO!

Help! Yellowed feet!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Apr 17, '10 9:40pm PST 
I'm going to put three of my 8 month olds in a cat show next weekend in hopes making the neutered boys Premiers and the female a Champion. I may be keeping one of the boys and the female for myself, but the other boy, who I need to find a home for, has a slight problem. His feet got stained by the litter box contents when he was caged (to keep him away from my queens) for a few weeks before getting neutered. I gave him a bath yesterday, but while his fur got fluffy and shiny, the yellowed stains on the bottom of his back feet wouldn't come out. I used Groomer's Goop (which gets out oil, dirt, and stains), Dawn dishwashing detergent, and whitening shampoos (which people outside the cat show circuit probably aren't very familiar with). I scrubbed and scrubbed with a brush, and rinsed thoroughly (including a finishing rinse of white vinegar), but his feet are still yellow on the bottoms. My Furminator (which I can't find) or my hair clippers (which need to be oiled) may help, if the yellow stain is mostly on the upper part of the fur.

Having a cat whose feet have yellow stains (Lowell is a brown tabby and white Main Coon) appear in the judging ring will make me look like a second-rate exhibitor--grooming is taken into consideration when cats are judged. More than that, I don't want the cat world to think I don't know anything about grooming (although Harvey was always impeccably groomed). I'm even considering pulling Lowell out of the show, although I do want him to become a Premier (as an Open, he will have no competition, I've been told by the entry clerk, so getting his Premiership is guaranteed), and I also want to get him professionally photographed.

Anyway, long post. Does anyone have any idea of how I can get his feet white by next weekend? If he were clothing, I'd use bleach, but you can't bleach a cat! I thought of using the liquid stuff that Persian cat and white dog owners use to remove tear stains. Does anyone have any ideas?
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 11:08am PST 
Years ago, when I had a grey horse I used to show, I'd have a similar problem with her white tail. I used Loving Care on it - and it worked beautifully; I used the whitest white. Do you have something like that available? It'd be worth a try. smile
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 3:20pm PST 
I never had to worry about white, until I got Cowboy. I know all the horse products, that would work, but they are horse products. Tried alot of the cat whitening shampoos, was not happy with any of them, I know how white should shine, used to show Palomino.

Then I saw this, and thought, might as well try it, just could not believe the white shine it put on his white feet, chest and tummy, its so bright, the judges gotta wear shades, mol. laugh out loud

And, at one show, was packing up in the hotel, getting ready to head back to the show hall, and Cowboy had diarea, my fault, gave him too much baby food, the night before. But now it is all over his back white feet, and back end. Filled the sink with warm water, and plunked his whole back end in there, and scrubbed with a wash cloth, it came right out. No hair dryer to dry him, so dryed him with towels the best I could, maid must have loved me, every towel and wash cloth was used, mol. He was still a little damp, for his first ring, judges never said a word, and he made the final.

Its called Pantene Pro V, Silver Expressions, daily color enhancing shampoo, sterling to snow.
It says helps remove dulling, yellowing residue.

Cowboy never had a prob with yellow stains, but his white just shines, and that diarea came right out, with just warm water and a washcloth.

You wash your normal wash steps. When you get to the last wash step, put some on the white, let it sit, while you do the last shampoo step, then rinse it all out. You have to be extremly careful not to let it sit too long, or it makes the white, purple, and you have to be careful to rinse it all out, and most importantly, do not get any of it, on the rest of the fur, or it dulls it.
Found that out the hard way too, now we have a system, so it just gets on his white. Then you do the normal vinegar rinse and whatever else steps you do.

Best of luck. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 4:23pm PST 
Uh, Loving Care is not a horse product - it's a human product that can be bought (assuming it's still being made) in any store that sells hair-care products. Easiest thing in the world to get.
[notify]

Steinem - In Memory

Let\'s see what- we can get into- to

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 6:02pm PST 
Don't know about Pantene for kitties, but Mom uses it on her hair and it just shines.laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Apr 20, '10 9:34am PST 
If all else fails, try Wisk laundry detergent, the liquid kind, if they have it in Japan. Mix a teaspoon or so of hydrogen peroxide solution with a bout half that amount of Wisk, and only a little water, and let it stay on his feet for a full minute. Then if you still need it use a product for brightening gray human hair the next day; that's what Loving Care is, if they don't have it over there. It won't bother his skin, and works very well. I would NOT use the clippers on his feet, because it would only make them look bad even if they are clean, and I'd bet the stains go all the way to the skin.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:13am PST 
Oh wow, thanks for all the tips ! MOL.. we usually use SNow burst by F1R2,
it makes us shine and our colors POP, but as for whitening which is supposed to do..mmmthinking I cant say it does much, we have tried BIOsilk silver lights for gray hair.. and didnt see to much a difference either. Do you have a grooming chalk? While the fur is still damp, take the white grooming chalk, or corn starch -rub it in and let it sit on the fur to dry,, brush it out and see if that works.
We have tried a little bit of oxyclean on a tooth brush and gently brushed that in and let it sit for about 30 seconds or so...
since our feetsies are not that stained its really hard to tell if it works or not.
We use Pantene Pro V conditioner after our baths to prevent static cling.. MOL
But we do use the chalk before each ring.. rub in and brush out. We have a show coming up the first w/e of May.. mom is hoping to Grand me - (Grand Premier) she says, that shes going to pay extra attention to my hocks NOW, and wash them everyother day from now till the show. Toot toot I only need 14 more points ta go party

Edited by author Tue Apr 20, '10 10:19am PST

[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:35am PST 
Harvey, you can always try Hydrogen Peroxide..
Wash his hocks, put the peroxide on with a toofie brush and towel dry it out... do this for a couple days till show day, it cant harm him. And most importantly, stay out of the litter box with yellowing litter. We use Worlds Best Cat Litter, its made of corn and dont stain feetsies. smile
LET US KNOW HOW YA MADE OUT.

Edited by author Tue Apr 20, '10 10:39am PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Apr 20, '10 3:20pm PST 
DO NOT use Wisk laundry detergent!

Back in the 70's, Pinto/Paint people used Wisk on the white, which horse people know, is a...lot
of white, mol. Their white has to more than shine, and it did work, but...... it broke their skin out, in little bumps, irritated the skin real bad.

I highly recommend, you do not, use any laundry detergent.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Apr 20, '10 5:12pm PST 
Hey Bump, I used to be a Pinto/Paint person.. but never used laundry detergent..
actually i forgot what i used. Prob some horse stuff.
The stuff we go thru to get the whitest whites and the brightest brites.. keepin in mind health and safety.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2