GO!

clipping nails..

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
St. Luke

No matter what- you've done- wrong, always

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 1:54pm PST 
know of any distractions for St. Luke so I can cut his nails? I may get one done if I work fast but after that he tries to bite..........
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:53pm PST 
Hi St. Luke,wave
Have you cut his nails to short at one time? If so he will not trust you now. What are you using to cut his nails? Please do not use a guillotine stain less steel type. Get a regular human toe nail cutter as they are very sharp. You may have to have another person help you. They will have to wrap him up tight and have his paws sticking out. It can be very traumatic . So you might want to take him to your vet or a groomer. You can also try getting something from your vet that will calm him before you cut his nails.
Good Luck and please keep us informed

hug
[notify]

SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Sat Mar 13, '10 7:45pm PST 
Snowflake is very bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I dont want to declaw her but I also like my furniture so I use soft paws which when I get them on stay on and work awesome!!! BUT the only way I can cut her nails and put them on is to get my husband to hold her. With this we tried wrapping her in a towel. Well she bit through that and then tried to bitemy hubbies leg. So we have to muzzle her. We bought a soft muzzle works wonders. Looks awful but it actually calms her down and she doesnt get as stressed or freaked out! We cant get anyone else to do it. Anywhere we bring her they cant even get her out of the cage let alone try to touch her. She has trust issues and is actually better for me and my hubby then anyone.
[notify]

Sootball

Purred: Sat Mar 13, '10 9:29pm PST 
Wow SnowFlake! That is very stress full. I think I may have asked you before, but is she deaf? A lot of white cats tend to be and that can cause that kind of problems. As I was a Pro. groomer at one time. I have a few cat muzzles around still. I was not thinking of them but I do know they work wonders. They do look a bit strange on a cat. mol I just do not know where the average owner can buy them.
[notify]

SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Sun Mar 14, '10 7:32am PST 
No she is not deaf. I dont think she was treated well in the past though. When going to pet her she would act like we were going to hit her then lunge to bite us in defense. She does trust us now. But there are still things she doesnt like. Like nail trims and teeth brushing. A good day with teeth brushing she just growls. But I have to brush with ski gloves. She does sometimes attack and shake my finger like she wants to kill it mol! So when that happens I am thankful for the thick gloves but pray she doesnt bite harder through them. Funny thing is when we are done her nails or teeth she walks away and is all sweet with us like nothing happened. I am a groomer to so I borrowed one from work but did end up buying one from our local pet store. Alot of small pet stores will order you things that they dont carry as well. Just try asking. It makes me less scared as clipping her nails honestly is dangerous and we are lucky so far not to mention with the muzzle its not as stressful. Sometimes it makes them worse BUT most of the time I find it calms them down. I dont think muzzling is mean especially if it it necessary. Sometimes its the safest way.shrug
[notify]

Toki

copy cat cappy- cot

Purred: Mon Mar 15, '10 7:54am PST 
question for Sootball: why did u say Not to use a guillotine style stainless steel type cutter? I thought that was the recommended tool for cats. I am lucky that Toki is amazing about letting me trim his claws, but I totally sympathize with you guys because my last cat Spooky hated it. It was a fight to the death every time, and she would tear me to shreds with her teeth. I could get one claw while she was sleeping, then she would wake up and not let me do any more. I just took her to the vet to get them done there. They used to charge $13, which is totally a bargain as far as I'm concerned. She didn't fight as much there for some reason. Another thing I did, which may sound futile, is I would grab her paw while she was sleeping and run an emery board over her claws- just once. Then she would wake up. I was just trying to dull the tips a tiny bit, and even though I doubt it worked much, I was desperate. Good luck with your little warriors!
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Mon Mar 15, '10 10:07am PST 
Coopie's REALLY bad...but he wouldn't let me do them from the beginning. He's fine when I take him to the vet to get them trimmed, though, so that's what I've been doing. It saves us both our sanity!

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Mar 16, '10 4:50am PST 
I'm 50/50 on the trimming claws. The one kitty I raised from a baby (8-9 weeks old) will let me do her claws without a fuss. The other one I got when he was older (6 months) and he will not sit still for nail clipping. He sees it as a threat (and is otherwise a gentle and loving kitty).

Well, with him it works best if I can get him to take a nap next to me on the couch or on the bed, and when he's sound asleep, out come the clippers. For a long time I was in the habit of carrying claw clippers in my jean pocket just for that. big laugh Generally, he's a lot more relaxed when he's asleep, and if he wakes before I am done, I pretend to be petting his paws. I got him used to having his paws held and stroked first, by never attempting to clip his claws when he let me while awake shh, so now if he wakes up and feels me petting his paws he's like "Ah, ok, mommy's just grooming me" and he goes right back to sleep. I wait a little while until he's dozing again (it helps that he has a soft cute snore big grin), and then keep going.

Now, the thing is, this method requires patience. Sometimes I don't get to do all the claws. Sometimes I do a few claws one day, and the rest the next day. But it's a lot less stressful than having to towel a cat, or having him hiss at me.
[notify]

Sootball

Purred: Thu Mar 18, '10 10:31pm PST 
Hi Toki wave
This is one of the safe type of nail trimmers for cats;http:
http://www.petco.com/product/10274/JW-Pet-Nail-Clipper-f or-Cats.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Grooming From
http://www.petco.com/product/14267/JW-Pet-GripSoft-Deluxe-Nail-Clipp ers.aspx Both of these are from Petco.com
The reason I like this type is because they are easier to hold and and the one has a guard to prevent you from cutting too short. The scissor type is what I had when I went to Grooming School and they are great. The Stainless steel ;
http://www.petco.com/product/109030/Millers-Forge-Guillotine-Styl e-Pet-Nail-Clippers.aspx
Are what the vet I worked for, used to declaw cats with because they are very sharp and could be auto claved. They work well if your pet does not move as you can take the whole toe off if not careful.
eek
I hope that cleared things up a bit for you, so sorry for the misunderstanding
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 4:30pm PST 
Isabelle hates having her feet messed with, too. Every time she is at the vet we ask for a nail trim (she is a perfect angel for them), but in between times we have a very sloooooow method. The only time it works is when she is laying in the sun and feeling good. laugh out loud I just talk to her like I'm cooing at her (yes, well, I do red face) and quickly but as quietly as I can clip a nail or two. I'm lucky if I can get more than two nails clipped in a setting, so you can see this takes a while. We usually focus on the front feet since those are what scratch and get hung up on carpet.

The other day, though, she let me do THREE feet!!! That must have been some seriously good sun! dancing
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2