GO!

Furminator vs. Zoom Groom

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Oct 8, '09 12:28am PST 
Grooming--my advice (and as a cat shower I know grooming), is that the Furminator is out for a longhair. Give the occasial bath, use a metal comb, and the Zoom Groom works best. And cats love it.
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Dec 7, '09 5:55am PST 
We have never used any of these tools, Now we are starting to want one, especially with the shedding season here !... mmmm
I tink we have to buy one soon.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 3:05pm PST 
Just wanted to post a quick update:

I actually got a furminator for my (very recently celebrated) birthday (I had asked for one, among other suggestions solicited). I just tried it out on both cats today. Boris pretty much tolerated it well, but it didn't really take that much fur off of him. The big surprise was Gracie: she loved the furminator. We just sat down for five minutes and I just brushed her coat out. She purred the whole time, and even headbutted me if I tried to stop ("do it some more mommy!" big laugh). When we were done her fur looked better than it ever has! big grin

I'm still using a combo of furminator and zoom-groom for the foreseable future, though: the blade is kind of scary sharp to me, and being the overprotective kind of cat parent, I'll probably use the former for their shoulders and torso, but the latter for the belly and other soft and sensitive areas.
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:51pm PST 
wtg Gracie! I have both of them and my cays all LOVE the zoom groom much better. As a former pro. groomer of 12 years, I would have to agree with Harvey. There is nothing like a metal gray hound comb for those long haired cats. But most cats will not tolerate it for long. Good luck .
(This is what I edited) Yes be careful with the blade. If you drop it it may brake. And it could cause split ends IMO as it seams to strip the hair some.

Edited by author Thu Jan 14, '10 9:55pm PST

[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Fri Jan 15, '10 1:38am PST 
Miss Puff,

what I'm concerned about mostly is nicking one of their nipples on their belly, as both cats have thick fluffy coats on their belly (Boris' belly hair is almost twice as long as the rest of his coat, and Gracie's is very thick), so I can't spot them very well. I just don't feel comfortable using it on that part, as one nick or injury would probably change their opinion of grooming. The ZG does a great job there, so we will continue using it. Also, since the ZG is considered petting around here, it'll probably see action daily, whereas the Furminator will probably be used once or twice a week tops to do some top coat defuzzying.
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Sat Jan 16, '10 8:45pm PST 
That's great news, Graciesmile I was never a fan of the Zoom Groom, but Fui thinks it's pretty good. Otoh, I love the Furminator! I will let my mum brush me for as long as she likes.
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 6:37pm PST 
Hello Miss Puff & Harvey, wave

Kally Kat is a long - haired cat & she lubbs the Zoom Groom brush like crazy. I also have a Evolution metal grey comb with movable teeth that I bought at the pet store.
The comb is about 3 inches long, & has big teeth's.
I use both of them alternately everyday to groom her. She neva, eva mats at all. I was a hairdresser for many years so I love grooming my Kally Kat & she comes running when she sees that Zoom Groom brush.
I want to know is that still the right comb for her long - haired coat?

My Vet said she doesn't need a furminator at all, she tried using one on her last visit & said she doesn't need it.

Thanks. Good luck to you Gracie & all furrs. They will definatley let you know what they like & don't like.

Lubbs,
Kally Kat kitty
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Jan 18, '10 5:12am PST 
We never used a furminator. But we did get a zoom groom for Christmas- not knowing that it was so popular.
Mom used it on me cause I have longer hair than sisfur. Well... let me tell ya.. mom said she thinks we should have done this in an enclosed room, the fur was a flying !
I was wondering if, since this product is rubber, does it actually pull the good hair out? Think about it, Rubber on fur,
what if you used it on your head- I would think it would pull your hair out depending on how its used. OUCH! Anyway, like I said, we did it that one time and put it away it was messy cause it didnt catch the hair very well.
We purrrfer a good ole fashion brushing. hamster dance

Edited by author Mon Jan 18, '10 5:17am PST

[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Wed Jan 20, '10 10:27pm PST 
Good question Gracie. Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you, but I never thought of this one. I would just use the zoom groom there as a petting motion. And for the question that ~KuJu Ku~ asked; I would not think it would pull out the good hair. You have to remember that cats hair is fur, there for a different texture. I have showed people on my arm(no I do not have furry arms.. mol) and have tried it on my head at home. So I get what you are asking. As for doing it in a smaller room. oh yeah. When doing work for Nutro at Petco, I tell dog people to use it outside, or there vacuum will hate them.. It is the best grooming tool I have ever used! imo Good luck and I hope this answered your question Gracie.
snoopy
[notify]

Shadrach

FEED ME!

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 9:29am PST 
Is the "furminator" kind of like the tool called a "shed-ender?" We have one of those and Shadrach doesn't care much for it. He'll let me use it for a couple of minutes, but after that, he growls and hisses and is finished! We have a wire brush and he LOVES to be brushed. We do it every morning while I am getting ready for work. He has a blanket on top of the hamper and all I have to do is hold up the brush and he hops right up, starts purring, and lays down to be brushed. He doesn't much care for having his tummy brushed, but he does tolerate it. He loves me to brush under his chin. Also, he LOVES when daddy has out the broom on the kitchen floor. He will lay down and turn over on his back for daddy to "broom" his tummy!!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2