GO!

Best cat litter?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Buddy

Energizer bunny

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 4:50am PST 
Just wondered what the best litter out there is? Can't find one I like-- What I want:
Not overly scented
Hard clumping but doesn't turn into a huge muddy mess sticking to the bottom of the box. Also not too expensive. Thanks for any advice
[notify]

Julius

Meow like you- mean it!!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 11:58am PST 
Hi Buddy! wave

thinking This is a good question. Mom has 4 cats total and we were previously using Fresh Step clumping litter. That seemed to have the best odor control and lasted the longest. BUT...then mom read about clumping litter possibly being hazardous to our health & she was looking for something more eco-friendly too.

So, we tried out the clumping litter made out of corn cobs. The brands we tried were Nature's Miracle & Arm & Hammer Essentials. Here's the pro's & cons:

PROs -
-more eco-friendly
-very easy to scoop & the wet litter doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan like concrete!
-lasted a long time - could go almost 2 weeks without changing to fresh litter.
-adequate odor control - not as good as Fresh Step, but did a fair job
- lightly scented (although the Arm & Hammer was initially stronger scented but that soon dispersed.)
- economical price was between $6-8 for A&H brand and bag lasted longer than normal brands.
- lightweight - not as heavy to lug home from the store!
- no dust
- soft on paws
- all 4 cats liked it!

CONs
- the lightweight nature of the granules made it easier to track on the floor
- adequate odor control - but we have 4 cats so maybe we're just too hopeful smile

We have also tried those pine pellet types when I was a kitten, but I somehow got them stuck in my fur so I didn't like it much. And we also tried the one made out of wheat, but we found an ant in it (and normally we DON"T have these in the house) so mom quickly vetoed that one.

Phew! Sorry to be so lengthy but mom thought maybe it would be helpful.kitty Good luck & let me know if you find anything good!

Edited by author Wed Aug 12, '09 12:00pm PST

[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 1:04pm PST 
Hi Buddy,

I like Fresh Step Unscented- it clumps well, but can be a bit dusty.

I use a large litter box- the Petmate Giant Litter Pan. I keep at least 4 inches of litter in it, so they cannot dig to the bottom-this keeps the waste from sticking to the bottom of the box. Because they cannot dig to the bottom, I am able to remove the waste completely from the box. If they happen to pee close to the side of the box, I tilt the litter away and clean where the waste touched- so the box stays clean. As long as you don't break apart the balls of urine, your litter stays clean and you only need to add a small amount of replacement litter once in a while, which saves $$. I keep 2 boxes out for 2 cats, scoop 2x a day and have no odor issues at all. I also use the "Magic Scoop Litter Lifter" to scoop with- it makes sifting through such a big box easy.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 2:06pm PST 
I think I would have to agree that Fresh Step clumping is good. It definitely keeps odors to a minimum. (It is a bit messy, though, but then again...Coop can be a bit messy!)

But really, I won't be happy until someone creates a litter box that hooks into the plumbing and flushes itself! laugh out loud
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 4:04pm PST 
Bumpurr has to have the giant economy size cat box, mol, so I bed deep, 6 inches. Bedding deep is the key to now having any wet stick to the bottom, it just clumps. big grin

I use Cats Pride, get it at the dollor store for $2.25 a bag, use 3 bags a week, and a box of baking soda, once a week, in each box, 55 cents at the dollor store, the baking soda helps absorb the smell.

I also pick every day. big grin
[notify]

Buddy

Energizer bunny

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 9:49pm PST 
My moms favorite was always fresh step too. But when she got me I dig all the way to the bottom and leave cement for her. She thought they changed the formula of fresh step but it was just me! Thanks for telling her we need a bigger box with deeper litter. Honey scooches her butt to the edge of the box and pees on the side but she doesn't pee as much as me. wink
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 5:03am PST 
Hey Coopurr wave

They do have a box that does that! It's called the Cat Genie. It does not sound so great when you read the reviews on it though- here is a funny one: Review
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 5:33am PST 
Buddy- you can use one of those big storage containers with a hole cut in the side- click here and scroll down to see a pic of one: litter box
[notify]

Julius

Meow like you- mean it!!

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 8:27am PST 
Hi Tasha! Thanks for posting the above link. Mom is intrigued with the Biddy Cat litter box....wonder if it works thinking We sometimes are "Poop Picassos" in my house. We have the extra large litter boxes, but still the sides are not high enough and sometimes we get a little overzealous in covering our poop & it get accidentally flicked on the wall behind the litter box. Mom's never too happy with this "art work" so maybe this box would help. (we don't like the covered boxes.)

Oh, and the other cats are right - litter depth & frequent scooping are majorly imp0rtant!

Edited by author Thu Aug 13, '09 8:29am PST

[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 8:28am PST 
Hey, Tasha -- Thanks for letting us know about the Genie. I think Meowmy did some research and read the bad reviews. I don't think she wants to get one.

I'm a major digger, though, so I think Meowm's convinced that no matter what she tries, I'm gonna be messy. hamster dance

Coop
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4