GO!

She hates being brushed

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Athena

Goddess of the- house

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 12:36pm PST 
My cat Athena has beautiful long black hair. Its very soft and feels silky. But she sheds and I can see the old dirty hair mixed in with the pretty coat. The difference between them is the old hair is gray. I have tried to brush her but she clearly hates it. She swats at the brush and my hands and bites me. I am as soft as I can be but it doesn't seam to help. Its even gotten to the point where she has hidden the brush and I can't find it. I don't know what to do. Everything I read about long haired cats is they need a brushing at least once a week. I feel like a bad mother because I have had her since February of this year and only really been able to brush her twice. Is there any way to make her like it or look at it as a treat?

Just a little history on her, my boss found her after this couple moved out. We believe they left her. She was outside mostly for about 3-4 months. She is a bit of a loner and really only likes to play with her little sister. She is normally very clam and cool but when it comes to the brushing she growls and gets very aggressive.

If anyone can help it would be great! Thanks in advance.
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 4:15pm PST 
I don't know what kind of brush you use, but are you familiar with the Zoom Groom? It doesn't look or feel like a brush, but it works like magic at removing loose fur and leaving the coat shiny. It feels like a massage rather than a brush, and most kitties really like it.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 6:05pm PST 
Hey Athena I am in the exact same position as you. Jellybean hates being brushed too, but she's not aggressive about it. Jellybean has short hair, so it isn't as bad. It's almost a 3 person job to brush Jellybean. I always thought Jellybean was odd for not not liking being brushed, but I guess she's not alone. Anyway, thanks Tully, I'll have to check that out.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sat Jun 13, '09 9:20am PST 
Isabelle hates being brushed, too. She will scratch, bite, and hide. I have the zoom groom and can get in about 30 seconds of brushing, IF she's in the exact right mood and exact right spot. And this is only about once a week. Sigh. She is so hairy. red face

Do you guys think its better to have someone hold her (at risk for injury to the holder and traumatization to Isabelle) and get in a good brush every day, or just let her be?
[notify]

Chai Latte

Your Royal- Chainess

Purred: Sat Jun 13, '09 9:39am PST 
I have always hated being brushed too and used to nip at Mom when she would do it.

The first brush I actually liked is the Zoom Groom which has been mentioned here.

Then a few months ago Mom got the Furminator and I LOVE it!

I do tend to get over stimualted during our Furminating sessions so Mom takes me into the bathroom and closes the door so the other kitties can't horn in on my action and get swatted by me.

Also, she gives me a treat about 1/2 way through and when we are finished.

Purrs,
Chai
[notify]

Hazel Lucy,- Charles- Dorney, Ma

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Sat Jun 13, '09 9:47am PST 
When Hazel was younger she wouldn't let me brush her.
She did let me stroke her so I would do that, to get her used to the sensation. Then I found a brush, almost a toy brush, the ends were little plastic balls, nothing pointy. She let me use that, then we moved on to a better brush and comb, now she loves being combed, brushed and furminated. A little time, a lot of patience.
You can also find those gloves that will remove the hair, and the zoom groom is fun!

Hazel Lucy
[notify]

Mysty (The- Princess)

Lay still! I'm- grooming you!

Purred: Sat Jun 13, '09 10:19am PST 
Mysty hates being brushed too, but I found that if I do it on the floor with one hand always holding the scruff of her neck (not mean, but like a mom cat) that I can get both sides done. Then I pick her up and hold her under her arms against my chest to do a quick belly brush and then let her go. She will pout for a bit, but I usually bring out the treats and she forgives me.
[notify]

Hannah♥- ;

My Heart Is True

Purred: Sun Jun 14, '09 11:22pm PST 
I hated being brushed, and would also bite at my mom's hands, and even cry like it hurt, even when she was being very gentle. Our friend, Wally sent us a FUR-minator comb/brush, and I loved it. Now I lay down for the grooming, and don't protest at all. I even don't mind the other brush as much now.
You might try one of those.

Purrs, Hannah
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Mon Jun 15, '09 10:31am PST 
Do try the zoom groom. Boris really hated being brushed, he even bit the handle of one of his brushes once. I tried two different kinds of brushes, and grooming mittens. With the mittens, he would let me pet him for about 3o seconds and then would try to bite at them. He would get like a wild man and eventually stalk off and be mad.

I got the zoom groom after someone recommended it on catster, and I never cease to be thankful for it. Boris not only sits to be brushed and purrs while it's happening, he demands it now. He'll just curl on the floor to his side and meow for it. I can brush him for a whole 2-3 minutes, and he'll love every second. Sometimes he even asks for seconds. big laugh

I've also used it on medium haired Gracie with a lot of success. Her coat takes much longer to brush (sometimes I've gone at it for a full five minutes), but she never gets irritated by it. In fact she purrs up a storm and exposes her belly when I brush her. I think the idea is that because the zoom groom is fully made of plastic and the tips are rounded, it feels more like a massage than a brush. It has also been by far a lot more effective than the aforementioned brushes and mittens were.
[notify]

Cleopatra

Miss Thing

Purred: Wed Jun 17, '09 5:56pm PST 
Every time I brush my girl, I don't know if she's enjoying it too much, or hates it, but loves the attention.

The first couple of strokes with the brush, she meows and purrs, throws herself on the floor and tries to grabb the brush gently and rub it against her face. After that, she starts to walk around slowly, almost like she wants me to chase her in slow motion. I get to brush her just a couple more times before I get too tired to continue the chase.

Does she love it or hate it? shrug

Edited by author Wed Jun 17, '09 5:58pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2