GO!

Shaving a Cat???

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Heidi- McFlooferson

I love everyone!

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '09 10:50am PST 
Shadow, while many people swear by the Furminator, my vet recommends against it because people often take too much fur out. My girls love their Zoom Groom. According to my vet, that, a comb for mats and a slicker brush is all that's needed for a long-haired cat.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '09 12:13pm PST 
Thanks Heidi, I will see if I can find a zoom groom. I do have a special comb for mats (looks like a claw) and I have a pretty good brush, but will look for something other than the Furminator.
Glad it has cooled down for a few days nowsmile
Its neat you live just across the water from me. smile
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '09 4:58pm PST 
I use the Furminator on Spike, who is my only short haired cat. Oddly enough, it seems like he sheds more than my Maine Coons do--he certainly seems to have a denser undercoat. But the Furminator does damage the guard hairs to a certain degree, so it's not suitable for a show cat. The Zoom Groom, however, is popular with all my cats, and takes away the dead fur/undercoat very effectively without damaging the rest of the fur. Khina's advice about putting cold water in bottles is good--when I've taken Harvey to an out of town cat show, I've put in bottles with cold water to keep him cool in his carrier. Also, in Japan at least, they sell metal "plates" that are large enough for a cat to lie on--apparently, the metal keeps them cool. My cats are not very enthusiatic about them, but if you have them where you live, you could try buying one. In any event, I keep my AC on almost all year--Tokyo has a semi-tropical climate, and Maine Coon lore says that you should keep your cattery as cold as possible, not just for the cat's comfort, but to keep their fur in tiptop condition even during the summer months. Since I myself am one of those people who can't stand heat, this suits me just fine. Maybe you could invest in a cheap AC?

Finally, a comment regarding long haired cats. This is not directed at you specifically, but rather at people who go to a shelter and fall in love with a long haired cat. Long haired cats do need more maintenance than short hairs--they need regular grooming (a metal comb is best) and the occasional bath. Some people don't seem to realize that the pretty white Persian they have just adopted will look pretty ragged unless groomed regularly. I only have Maine Coons, for whom the breed standard calls for "silky but shaggy" fur, and they don't get mats. Through the cat show grapevine, I get the impression that different long hair breeds (Persians, Norwegian Forest Cats, etc.) have different fur characteristics. My Maine Coon crew have silky fur that doesn't mat, but I've visited MC catteries where the cats who weren't currently being shown looked pretty unkempt.

In conclusion, I'd agree with the other posters and try to find another way to keep your cat cool without shaving.
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Tue Jun 9, '09 11:55pm PST 
Hi Shadow, As You may know by now, I was a groomer for 12 years and I have done my share of Lion Clips. I agree with the not shaving thing. So long as you are comfy all is good. As for the Zoom Groom and or the Furmanator, I have both and love both of them . I also have the Pet Vac and it has a furmanator attachment you can buy. All of my animals LOVE this. As for the two, I like them both. One is just as easy to use as the other. Though with the pet vac I do not have to have a trash can near me.. There is a tool made by Bamboo that is made for long haired dogs. It has a rack and a matt splitter. I have one and use it . Though all on my animals are short haired. I bought it to use on my Aunt's Chow X Collie when he was here in \Fla. I also used the Furmanator and wow I needed a huge trash bag for that clean up. Good luck on what ever you choose, and I am also glad u are not gunna get shaved. Though u could get a sanitary clip with a tummy shave. That will help her stay cooler, esp if there is any tile for her to lay on..
[notify]

Adonis

wooly bully

Purred: Wed Jun 10, '09 3:37am PST 
The mention of the metal plates reminded me of something!

I have a few large ceramic tiles in the freezer for hot days to put in my ferrets' cage. Tile (marble has the same density so does the same thing) keeps in the cold a lot longer then metal and with a towel over it, stays at a tolerable temperature for several hours. I also give them frozen water bottles wrapped in their favorite sweatshirt but they tend to use that as a source of extra water once it starts melting.

My cats don't really care for anything to help keep them cool when it starts getting hot out. They just hide in their cool spots during the day and come out as soon as it starts getting dark. I've tried to have ice bottles and other things out for them to help them keep cool but my help goes ignored. My babies love me but they make sure to keep their distance when the heat is making us all crabby.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Jun 10, '09 4:35am PST 
Many Japanese are AC-phobic. Older folks grew up in an age when one was trained to ignore uncomfortable temperatures, but even my students will start coughing and sneezing the moment I turn on the AC in the summer. However, electric fans are popular. Cats don't sweat, and I can't guarantee that an electric fan will do any good, but for Humans, they are surprisingly effective. I grew up in upstate New York, which gets humid but generally mild summers. We never had ACs because the summers were so short. But you could try an electric fan, and see if that seems to make a difference. And while ACs are expensive, I would still recommend that you buy one and let your cat chill out that way. I'm not particularly religious, but God DID give cats fur, and cats live everywhere on earth, including hot regions. I'm sure that there are some cats who will function better with a Lion Cut than with an AC, but I still think that long haired cats should be allowed to keep their fur, unless there is some sanitary reason for getting rid of it.

Wishing you the best...
hug
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed Jun 10, '09 9:58am PST 
Well I found the Zoom groom, but there was one right next to it, that looked similar but a bit finer, and it was cheaper. It works pretty good, though I think still the other rake that I have works way better. Though this new one does get the hair off carpet and furniture pretty good.way to go
Thanks again for all your replies.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Jun 10, '09 12:08pm PST 
The key point is to get rid of the undercoat. The guard hairs stay there all year round, but the undercoat comes out and out and out during shedding season. Whatever works for you--Furminator, Zoom Groom, the occasional bath--is fine.
[notify]

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 11, '09 5:37pm PST 
Shadow, I know someone with an imitation Zoom Groom and it doesn't work as well. I don't know if it's the same as yours, but I thought I'd let you know. smile

Some kitties love fans. Alaidh was one of them. She would stand in front of mine and every time it would rotate in her direction, she would either meow or close her eyes happily. Here she is on my spare room bed meowing at the fan - and no, there are no Kleenex on the bed like my mother thought ("Look at the unmade messy bed! There are even Kleenex on it!!")...it's the sheet!! big laugh

Alaidh and the fan

Sammie, on the other hand, loved my AC. When she was around 12, her anal gland became swollen and infected. It happened during a heat wave. I didn't put two and two together until it happened the next year during a hot spell, as well. I put a small air conditioner in a low window. She slept right in front of it and never had an infection again. (It was a very low-power AC, so it was okay that she slept right in front of it...she loved it.)
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2