GO!

Shaving a Cat???

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed Jun 3, '09 8:57pm PST 
Ok well its really hot here, and Im just wondering if one can shave a long hair cat for the summer, if so how long would it take to grow back??
I just feel so bad for my Shadow her Coat is so thick, and long. I leave all the windows open (with screens), and have fans going, but we do not have A/C.
What would you do??
[notify]

Adonis

wooly bully

Purred: Thu Jun 4, '09 11:16am PST 
If there is no problem with the hair itself, there's no need to shave her. A cat's hair actually provides insulation from both the heat and the cold.

I was considering shaving my Adonis for the summer until I found that out. The big difference between short and long haired cats during the summer is that long haired cats will shed and groom themselves a lot more. The grooming cools them down since the saliva acts the same way that sweat works for humans. The shedding is just the cat continuously losing it's undercoat to keep cool.

The best ways to help her out with the heat would be to rub her down with a damp rag and to get as much of her undercoat out as possible at least once a week. Something like the Zoom Groom would be ideal.

I personally believe that shaving should only be used as a last resort. It makes the cat uncomfortable and vulnerable. If she gets into a scuffle with another cat, not having her long coat will leave her open to being injured much more easily. And I can't imagine that licking stubble where there once was long, soft hair would feel good either.

I know that my sister gives Adonis' brother a lion cut once every few months. The only reason why is hygienic. Nemo does not groom himself very well and will attack anyone who tries to groom him. Because of this, he always had mats that were on the verge of reaching the skin and doing some serious damage. My sister also feeds a low quality food since that's all she can afford since she has a lot of mouths to feed (3 cats, 5 ferrets, a mouse colony, various fish and lizards, and soon to be 3 children). She fed raw for a while but it's just not safe right now since she has 2 young children (7 and 4) with another baby due any day now.

So, since you don't seem to be dealing with a hygiene problem, I wouldn't suggest shaving. Sorry about the rambling...
[notify]

crybaby

Purred: Thu Jun 4, '09 2:42pm PST 
My mom says I am a typical boy but she doesnt realize how hard it is (whine whine) So she gets me shaved once a year , I love it AFTER not during but I am sooo much cooler in the summer.
[notify]

Allie

Princess of- Purrs

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '09 4:49am PST 
I have persians/himalayans and a "lions cut" is a standard shave down people have done but I hate it. I think they look embarrassed and silly aside from the fact that I can't afford a groomer for 5 cats. Unless they somehow get mats that are so out of control that you can't comb them out, I would not shave your kitty. I have read that it changes the texture when it grows back and eventually you will have no choice but to continue to shave them. But I don't know if that's true or a wives tale. Cat groomers are also hard to find because most cats are a pain to groom and their bite is dangerous. The one I used to use moved away, but she charged $75 for a lion cut and more if the cat was "difficult". I had just the mats shaved off Allie last June and she is indeed difficult. Right now I am trying to find somebody to do a "hygeine clip" on Kira. She just can't seem to keep her tush clean and I want her backside shaved.
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '09 9:56am PST 
Hey Shadow! Long time, no meow.

Try freezing some big plastic bottles of water and wrap them in towels. If she gets hot she can lie against them. A nice cool damp cloth on the paw pads would help cool her down too.
[notify]

Abbie- McFlooferson

I not fat!! I- fluffy!!

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '09 2:55pm PST 
While I think shaving a cat is best left only for hygienic reasons or mats, Abbie seems to have a built in shaver.

When I first adopted her, her fur was so long and fluffy she looked like a big puffball. Now she almost looks like a shorthaired cat! When I boarded them this week, I was asked if I trimmed her fur...nope...she just shed it all. It's still silky soft and thick, but much shorter. I hope it comes back in the fall!!
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya !

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '09 6:05pm PST 
I didn't think it got that hot in Canada. Does Shadow seem uncomfortable? Cats prefer heat more than dogs do. It gets hot and very humid by us and still Apollo sleeps on the porch all day if I would let him. No breeze -- just pure heat that makes me sweat as soon as I walk out there. Cats' ancestors came from deserts and Apollo certainly likes the heat.

Heidi- McFlooferson

I love everyone!

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '09 11:50pm PST 
Some areas of British Columbia got up to 37°C/98°F this week, Apollo! Trust me, it gets hot in Canada! I've been sleeping on my back...which, for some reason, makes Mummy bury her face in my fur.

I'm not sure how hot it was where Shadow lives on Vancouver Island, but it sure got hot here in Surrey!!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '09 5:58am PST 
I agree with Adonis. big grin

LH cats should not be shaved unless there is a medical reason. Their fur
insulates them from the heat, just as closing the windows and drapes in
the summer, keeps it cooler in the house.

Mine are LH, and show cats, so they cannot be shaved, and they do not
get matts. If a cat is getting alot of matts, I would look at the diet, and
if the cat is properly grooming himself. An overweight or older cat or
sick cat would not groom themselves properly, thus matts. LH cats
also need to be combed everyday, especially the prob areas, under their
arms, between their back legs, and the bushy part of their back legs.

Sometimes the fur is overly greasy, so the cat needs to have a bath on
occassion, greasy fur will create matts.

And learned this, because one of my friends shaved her LH cat, and it does
get hot in the summer, but also very cold in the winter, it takes a good
3 months, for the fur to grow out, so the cat is not cold in the winter.

I highly recommend you do not shave the cat. Your looking at alot of
maintence. And if you choose to go this route, it must be done properly.
You have to wash the cat first, then use a good quality clipper, like the
Oyster golden A5's, which are expensive, and you have to be very
careful not to nick the cat. You have to have clippers that you can easily
change the blade, you have to know which blade to use, the higher the #,
the closer the cut, 40 is surgical, you have to constantly stop and brush
the hairs out of the blade, take the blade off and brush the hairs out of
the moving parts, spray the blades, and wash the blades, which is why
groomers charge so much, and you have to have a very patient cat.

I have show horses and just clipping them for a show, is a major project,
and that is not even a body clip. I don't body clip my horse, she is a
palomino, ya don't body clip a palomino, but some show people do
body clip, but they know what they are doing. It is a constant change of
blankets, weight types and hoods, depending on the weather, it is alot,
alot of maintence.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '09 10:24am PST 
Thanks everyone for your responses. smile
I have decided not to shave her, she gets a few little mats, but I always get them out. I was just concerned about the heat, as she was actually drinking water last night shock She never drinks water that I know of, as she gets it from the food she eats ( canned and Raw)
Guess I will just keep her cool with the Khina's advice (Thanks Khina) Oh and Shadow loves her baths
way to go
I do have a really good brush that gets alot of undercoat, but would it be advisable to get the Furmintaor?? It looks alot like a clipper end to me??
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2