GO!

manx keeps getting icky?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Princess

Don't touch me.- Give me food and- leave!

Purred: Sun Mar 1, '09 1:16pm PST 
Princess keeps getting poo stuck in her fur. I brush her almost daily and almost every day I find it back there, little clumps.

What can I do to stop this?? shrug I've never had a long fur cat before
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 2, '09 12:48pm PST 
Are the poops real soft or diarea like, or are they normal, or are they
rock hard. This should only happen on a rare occasion to LH's. big grin
[notify]

Miss Phoebe

I purr therefore- I am

Purred: Mon Mar 2, '09 5:06pm PST 
It sounds like she needs a sanitary trim. We deal with a lot of abandoned and abused Domestic Long Hairs at the shelter and quite a number of them have the same problem. Check with a kitty groomer.
[notify]

Lucky Streak

Lucky I can- streak and- wasn't drowned

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 2:40am PST 
I rescued a Manx kitten once and got it right into a rescue group that knew about this! They said it has something to do with the no tail thing, and special care is needed! Find a good vet or groomer (or maybe even breeders of manx cats) where they can tell you the special needs of having this kind of cat!

It wasn't like just getting a rear end shaving, Manx also need something more... sorry I can't remember it was a few years ago and Meow-Mom is uhh forgetful?

HEY don't forget MY food!!
[notify]

Miss Phoebe

I purr therefore- I am

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 2:18pm PST 
Lucky Streak is right. I spoke with a vet tech today. She couldn't remember anything except that Manx cats can usually keep clean...so check with a groomer or vet about this situation.

Best of luck!!!

Edited by author Tue Mar 3, '09 2:19pm PST

[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 6:35pm PST 
Gimli's always been clean. Even though his tail is only a half an inch long, he hasn't had any problems. Even though K.C. (Gimli's littermate) , is shorthair, she has had a little bit of "dingleberries" lately. I just comb them off with the furbuster. She's only been with us since August (we gave her away when she was a kitten and we got her back), so I'm not sure if she had any previous problems. I read about the tail thing too. I read somewhere that [rumpy] Manx get "poopy butt" because they don't have a tail to help dislodge the poop, so it gets stuck in their fur.

Edited by author Tue Mar 3, '09 6:36pm PST

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 9:47pm PST 
Manx cats are prone to anal problems. I know almost nothing about them, but there may be a relationship to their also being prone to spina bifida. Google "Manx anal problems" and you'll get LOTS of information. By the way, I was always under the impression that Manxes are short haired cats. But your cat is long haired. Is your cat a real Manx, or just have a truncated tail? That may or may not have a bearing on this problem. Personally, I'd consult with my vet to see if a physical abnormality is causing this. And then, yes, it does seem that some kind of groomer care is needed. I have nine Maine Coons, and they almost never have any of those nuggets in the back--I mean, like around once a year. See your vet, figure out if there's a birth defect involved, and also, as another poster suggested, figure out if it's soft stools that are the problem, or just--hard nuggets. Oh, and there's also the possibility that a change in food might work. Good luck.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Mar 4, '09 2:52pm PST 
Yup, they have LH Manx's, here is a link on the Manx. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/manx.html

http ://www.cfa.org/breeds/grooming/manx.html
[notify]

Princess

Don't touch me.- Give me food and- leave!

Purred: Wed Mar 4, '09 5:02pm PST 
my.space.bar.broke.lol

i'll.google.this.thanks.for.all.the.info.

shes.def.manx.fits.the.breed.description.perfectly.personality,lo okslol
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Mar 5, '09 6:49am PST 
Well, then, get a vet check, and good luck with your nuggets.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2