GO!

Finding the right shampoo for your show cat...

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 11:30am PST 
I'll admit it. I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out what shampoos/conditioners were best for my cats.

Well, it looks like my first choice, Jerob, House of An-Ju, works best for my cats, especially Harvey. We had a cat show this weekend, and all my cats were sleek and yet fluffy. Harvey looked MUCH better than he did in the last show, when I used a different set of grooming products. I'm not being paid to endorse this brand, it just seems to match my Maine Coons.

One caveat: this brand of products does have an odor. Some cats really don't like this, an will spend the entire show trying to change the shampoo odor to the odor of their own saliva.

Conclusion? You have to try zillions of products before you find what is best for your cat. You have a pet who is not being shown? Use dishwashing detergent. For people showing cats...try this and that, and you'll find what's best for you. But...experimenting costs money.

Oh, but how pretty they look after a thorough show bath! And while they don't like the bath or drying process, they certainly like the result! Cats like to be clean, and know when they are beautiful!

Edited by author Mon Feb 23, '09 12:07pm PST

[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 4:01pm PST 
Would like to add, for those that are going to use Dawn, you *have* to
dilute it. Mix the Dawn in a paper/plastic cup with some water, and pour
it over the cat. big grin If you don't, if you put it on full strength, it will dry out
the skin and fur. big grin Learned this the hard way, after someone told me to
use Dawn, to get the grease out, and never said to dilute it. He looked
worse than if I hadn't washed him. big grin

Been hearing more about the vinegar rinse, but haven't tried it yet, and
some say dilute, some say not, but common sense tells me to dilute it. I
guess I don't want to go to a show, with him smelling like vinegar, mol. big grin

I will say, I start the kittens on baby shampoo, for a couple of months.
Even have judges asking what I used on the kittens. big grin

Tried an experiment yesterday on the 2 kittens, as it was the last round of
their bath training, before the show. They are 6 months old. Did one in
the baby shampoo, the other, with the formula I use for Bumpurr. I have
to say, the one with the baby shampoo, came out much much better. big grin

So, in conclusion, I can say, baby shampoo, works much better on kitten
fur, rinse, rinse, rinse, as always. I use the Suave baby shampoo/conditioner.
Cannot tell you, how soft and fluffy he came out. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Harvey is right, its alot alot of trial and error, as what works for one cat,
does not, for another. Each cats fur is different. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Have heard good things about Ice on Ice, haven't tried it yet, its a finishing
spray. big grin

Cowboy has officially graduated bath and blow dry training, a very good
boy. applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Cruiser graduated bath training, good boy, but is going to have to go to
summer school, for blow dry training, mol, glad we still have a few weeks. shock

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 7:02pm PST 
When I was in a show last June (my mom's going through cat show withdrawals laugh out loud ), she used diluted Dawn liquid. She read about it on a Manx breeder Web site. I don't know if it was using that or if it was her spraying Feliway in my carrier before I got in it, but I didn't get dandruff during the show. In one show, I got dandruff really bad the first day! frown Then I got a bath in the hotel bathtub. red face Maybe I stress out too much? I'm all laid back in my exhibition cage and I mostly just sleep.

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Mar 8, '09 7:53am PST 
Grooming a Maine Coon for a show is a difficult enterprise. As I wrote earlier, I am back to using Jerob products, but although I THOUGHT I had rinsed Harvey very thoroughly after the shampoo, the odor was still in his fur, and he spent the whole show licking himself to get rid of it. And he did not look his best in the show ring. This time, I was out of white vinegar, which I usually use at the end of the shampoo to get rid of the residue, and I think that was an influence, too. Oh, and the hour it takes to dry him with the turbo hair dryer...I am simply tired.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Mar 8, '09 12:54pm PST 
Bumpurr is 3 hours, start to finish. big grin

On occassion, his "formula", does not come out right, so I know what you
mean, but I now attribute that, to the changing coat of the MC, which
will change from kitten to 5 yrs old. Bumpurr is 2. big grin

If all else fails, the Suave Baby shampoo/conditioner always works, not
always the perfect product our "formulas" turn out, but never have that
greasy look or shampoo residue left over, and it is real soft. I use that, when
one "formula" no longer works. big grin

Try Ice on Ice, its a finishing spray, just before you go in the ring, just
spray a very light mist, OVER the cat, and let it fall down on him, let dry
a minute or two, then comb. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard very
good things about it, and asked one of my friends to pick it up for me at
the show this weekend. Going to try it on the kittens for their first show in
a couple of weeks. big grin

Whats the ratio for the white vinegar/water. Do you pour the entire
mixture over the cat all at once, or pour a little at a time, and fluff it
thru his fur? big grin

How much more of rinsing am I looking at, to rinse all the vinegar out? big grin

Can I use the vinegar rinse on the kittens? They will be 7 months old, at
the time of their show. big grin

Bumpurr's "formula" doesn't work on Cowboy, and Cowboy's fur is
different than Cruisers, sigh......, now gotta come up with 3 "formulas" big grin
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Mar 9, '09 4:10pm PST 
Yes, every cat is different. I use around six different shampoos/conditioners on Harvey, but suspect that dish detergent would be ample for his sisters.

As for the vinegar--har! I just pour it on his back and work it through his fur. Then I rinse until there is no odor left. Mind you, I am not bathing my cat in the sink, but in the bathtub, sitting on a stool, and both Harvey and I are...in our natural state. So all this dilution stuff is just too difficult. That is also the problem with Jerob products--you're supposed to dilute them, but heck, it's almost like a mathematical equation, "Dilute so and so amount to so and so ounces of water." I just pour it on his back like a regular shampoo, scrub it around, and try to rinse it out as best I can. However, this last time I simply didn't rinse enough, and he still smells like shampoo.
[notify]

Tinkerbell

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '09 12:06am PST 
Check out www.winningshowcatsecrets.com
[notify]