GO!

How to get oil off a small kittens fur

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

~ Angel ~

Mommy's Miracle -

Purred: Mon Jan 12, '09 11:34am PST 
Angel is eating kitten food with some mineral oil mixed in on the advice of my vet.

The problem is now that she is eating from a bowl her face ands chest are all greasy looking. I wipe her off after each feeding but it help much after, so is it OK to use a little kitten soap on a cloth to get it off or should I just leave it?

Ty for your advice
Tina and Angel
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Jan 12, '09 4:17pm PST 
This is Delyte. When I was getting forcefed diluted food after my surgery, my person just cleaned the heaviest mess from my fur. She was hoping that I would go off and wash my face afterwards and ingest some more food that way. Does Angel wash her face or anything else? If she was taken from her mother too soon, she might not, although it is hard wired in them. I would tend to leave what doesn't wipe off on the first pass of a damp [not soapy] paper towel. Then wait a while and see if she can deal with it herself. She is getting to be a big girl now!

You also might try feeding her from a flat plate, not a bowl. It seems more natural to a cat not to have the sides next to their face, and it makes them work their tongues more. It might keep food and oil from getting on her face, too.

Giant purrs from me and the giant kittens! wave
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 4:00pm PST 
Not sure if these would work for Angel, because she is so small, but you
could run them by your vet.

Persian show people put a "bib" on their cats at shows, for the very same
reason. Some just use a baby bib, some use what looks like an
elizabethan collor, only its just a coffee filter, with a hole cut in the bottom
to put the cats head thru. If you go this route, and ask your vet first,
do not leave her unattended with them on. The Persian show cats are used
to it, they get left on in between classes, but Angel is not, and she is so
small.

Another thing show people use is grooming powder. It comes in all colors,
to match the cat, it absorbs the grease, but you have to brush it out
really really well. Others use, I think it is cornstarch, Harvey could tell you
better about this one. But run this by your vet first too.

I would not use any soap on her, she is too small. When she gets older/
bigger, you can teach her to get a bath, and I use baby shampoo on my
show kittens. Too much trama for her right now. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Little Mamma

There is no such- thing as just a- cat.

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 5:38pm PST 
hello little one,

mom says that the peeples who help birds and stuffs when there are oil spills in the big blue use dawn detergent...it is sposed to get all the ickies off but not mess up their natural stuffs??? not sure of that, but mom says try the dawn dish detergent website and ck it out....

hope you are doinng well...

warm purrs to you
[notify]

Little Mamma

There is no such- thing as just a- cat.

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 5:39pm PST 
hello little one,

mom says that the peeples who help birds and stuffs when there are oil spills in the big blue use dawn detergent...it is sposed to get all the ickies off but not mess up their natural stuffs??? not sure of that, but mom says try the dawn dish detergent website and ck it out....

hope you are doinng well...

warm purrs to you
[notify]

Maggie May

fix your feline!

Purred: Sun Jan 25, '09 6:24pm PST 
Dawn (the plain old Dawn, not the new stuff with bleach) is safe for kittens and puppies. It kills fleas, too! Just be sure and rinse really, really well.

Good luck!
[notify]