GO!

i shed a lottt

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Zoe

FFF(Fuzzy-Friend- ly-Fat)

Purred: Tue Dec 23, '08 11:24am PST 
i just read breed info about american shorthairs, like me. and it says they dont shed a lot, but i do. alot alot. youll never find a pillow or jacket without white on it. please help me and tell me why i am shedding a lottt. thanks! ~zoe~
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Tue Dec 23, '08 12:13pm PST 
Excessive shedding is usually caused by a poor diet. What do you eat?
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Wed Dec 24, '08 7:30pm PST 
First of all, white hair shows up more on dark surfaces, like black clothing!

Secondly, having owned both short-haired cats (moggies) and long-haired cats (purebred Maine Coons), I can say that the moggies seem to shed more of their underfur than the Maine Coons do, especially during the spring and early summer. This could have something to do with Maine Coon fur--other long-haired breeds might be different. But I get a handful of fuzzy underfur when I stroke Spike in the spring, and nothing from my MCs.

If your cat is short-haired, I recommend the Furminator or Zoom Groom for getting out the underfur. I prefer the latter because it seems to get out more fuzz, doesn't damage the guard hairs, and doesn't weird out the cat as much--most seem to think it's a kind of massage. Also, it's a lot cheaper.

If your cat is long-haired, I recommend the occasional shampoo. When I gave Harvey his first few show shampoos, he shed so much dead hair that he plugged up the drain. Now that I regularly shampoo my MCs, they shed very little and don't get hairballs. It might be difficult to persuade your cat to endure a shampoo, but use a hand-held shower head, if possible, any brand of non-medicated pet shampoo (or dishwashing detergent if the cat is particularly dirty), and scrub and rinse well. Don't worry about drying out the cat's skin or fur--I shampoo Harvey every weekend for shows and he has no problems with dryness.

The other key is to use a metal comb, rather than a brush. A brush will be generally effective for a shorthaired cat, and the cat will enjoy the feeling of being "groomed," but a comb reaches all the way down to the skin and gets out the underfur. Long-haired cats MUST be groomed by a metal comb; a brush is only good for distributing natural oils and getting out loose surface hair and dirt.

Khira is right about diet. If your diet is not well-balanced, it can show in your fur. But unless you are eating a diet that is not meant for cats, or not designed for any particular health problems you might have, almost any diet is likely to be sufficient to give you healthy-looking fur. Most cat shows are sponsored by either Science Diet or Royal Canin, which are pooh-poohed by people who feed their cats premium foods, but so many samples of SD and RC are given out at cat shows that we can assume that a majority of breeders and exhibitors are feeding these brands to their cats, who, needless to say, have shining, healthy fur and eyes. If you have the option, however, you might want to try premium foods or a raw diet--lots of information on Catster regarding both. But occasional showers and use of the Zoom Groom and/or a metal comb will work wonders for shedding.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Dec 25, '08 10:45am PST 
I agree with Khina, excessive shedding is due to poor diet. Here are some
links to help you. smile

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/american-sh.html

http:/ /www.catinfo.org/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_disp lay.cfm?c=3261+1940+2965&pcatid=2965

http://www.drsfostersmith.co m/pic/article.cfm?aid=682
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Thu Dec 25, '08 5:18pm PST 
I suppose it also depends on what you consider "excessive" shedding. A poorly groomed cat will shed more than a cat who is being groomed regularly and properly. It is natural for cats to shed their underfur in the warmer months, so it is unlikely that the "perfect" diet would stop this kind of natural and healthy shedding (if the cat didn't shed its winter fur, it would would be mighty uncomfortable during the summer months). However, for a person wearing a black suit, ANY kind of shedding can seem excessive!

The importance of the occasional bath in preventing shedding was brought home to me recently when Leila started yacking up hairballs, which none of the other cats do. I'm positive that the reason is that she hasn't had a bath since August, when she was bred--I didn't want to subject a pregnant and then a nursing cat to the stress and temperature fluctuations involved with bathing.

I find it ironic that one of the sites mentioned was from the CFA. They're one of the biggest pushers of Science Diet (along with vets)--in Japan, at any rate, most CFA cat shows are sponsored by Science Diet. I haven't looked at the site in question, but I wonder if it disses Science Diet? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

In any event, my conclusion is: both grooming and a good diet are important for healthy fur. But a certain amount of shedding is to be expected. If you suspect that your cat really is shedding more than usual, or more than other cats, then a vet check is in order. In the meantime, keep up good grooming habits and improve the cat's diet if necessary. There's tons of information regarding the nutritional merits of various foods on Catster.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Dec 26, '08 4:53am PST 
Spike, the CFA site I gave her, is on the American Shorthair breed, so
she could read more about them. smile

Can't speak for Japan, never been, but in the US, only the bigger shows,
usually 350-450 are sponcered, and it usually by Royal Canin.

And most show people, already know about Science Diet and Royal Canin.
Which most of us do not feed.

I am in Region 1 in CFA. smilesmilesmilesmilebig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sun Dec 28, '08 6:35am PST 
In Japan, CFA shows may not be "sponsored" by Science Diet, but SD is always plugging their products and giving out free samples. I have a feeling that Royal Canin has the same kind of relationship with TICA.

Unfortunately, premium foods haven't caught on yet in Japan (only until recently people were feeding cats rice with bonito flakes), and breeders and exhibitors are, in the main, still feeding their cats SD and RC. Recently Artemis has started setting up booths at shows, but that's about it. The only way to get premium foods is over the Internet, and the selection is limited. Also, when breeders buy SD, for example, they can buy large quantities at a discount, which is not true for the premium brands. I'm eager for the day when Japanese cat owners begin to demand premium foods, and when they become easier to buy.
[notify]