GO!

stinky kitten butt

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Dec 25, '08 5:46pm PST 
I have seven 11-week old kittens, and they all have what is to me an adorable but faint smell of kitten poop--which smells different to me from adult cat poop. I have a feeling that it's just a stage that the kittens go through--when they were newborn and Momcat was licking their behinds to get them clean, they had the same odor, but I've never had an older kitten or adult cat who smelled quite the same way. I'd use the kitten wipes and just assume that they'll grow out of it. If you continue to be concerned, you might consult with your vet. If there's any diarrhea involved, go to the vet NOW.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Sat Dec 27, '08 8:58am PST 
you must be a very busy kitty mommy!

allison
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Sat Dec 27, '08 4:51pm PST 
Yes, but not too busy to smell their cute little rear-ends! Which reminds me, today is b-a-t-h day--I want them to look their best for prospective adopters!

It also occurred to me that your cat could have overactive or plugged-up anal glands. That can result in the cat being REALLY stinky ALL the time. I used to have a kitten like that, and frankly, I didn't want him on my lap. Cornell has a useful (if slightly disturbing) video regarding "expressing anal glands." You could try it yourself (or get your vet to do it) and see if that's what's causing the problem.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '08 7:26am PST 
We discovered that Kali was getting stinky again. Mainly, just musty smelling and unpleasant. I actually haven't had them bathed in a long time, they usually smell good without it. Tiger smells a little like spices usually. But lately, Kali, in particular has smelled like warm musty kitty and she really made all the top layers of our bed smell bad. So off to the vet today to get baths. They also do the anal glands as part of the bathing. Kitty baths are not that much money. I wouldn't dare try to clean Kali, she was a strong as a man and as slippery as an eel when we had to feed her antibiotics and vitamins last year. She'd probably tear us up if we gave her a bath. My husband flat out refused. The money spent is worth it. It's only $20 a cat where we live.

Allison
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2