GO!

stinky kitten butt

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Saramina

little but- feirce! reow!

Purred: Mon Oct 20, '08 6:04pm PST 
My 8 week old kitten has a stinky butt. She just has to walk by your face for you to smell it. Is this normal at all in small kittens? Will she learn to clean herself better? Is there anything I can do to help her out? (I've resorted to wiping her off once in a while with a baby wipe)
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 6:19am PST 
Does she just smell or does she smell because she hasn't cleaned herself after using the litter box? ie. loose stools and you can see stuff stuck in her fur? Is it just after she uses the litter box for solid waste or all the time? Are her litter habits otherwise good? Kittens taken from the mothers/littermates too early (ie. before they're 12 weeks old) sometimes have litter box related problems, since they learn this from their mother. I'm assuming since you said you've used wipes, that she does get stuff in her fur and doesn't clean it? If her stools are very loose, there is danger of dehydration in such a young kitten. You need to take her to the vet anyway, but make sure to take a stool sample to rule out parasites. Have you changed her food since bringing her home? Are you feeding a high quality food? Abrupt transitioning and foods with fillers cause alot more litter box waste and smells. A healthy kitten being fed quality food really will not have much of a smell to their litter box leavings and certainly not on themselves.
[notify]

Saramina

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 11:10am PST 
she's really good about using the box, and there is nothing really stuck in her fur. It smells more like stale urine with a touch of stinky cat food poo, so I'm guessing she just doesn't clean it well.

Tasha was very good about cleaning her rear and she would do it as soon as she left the box, right on the bath mat, but 'Mina doesn't give herself too many baths... I've never had a small kitten before... do the wash more as they get older, or is she just a slob?
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 6:16am PST 
Atrus doesn't tend to really clean himself very much or at all if he just goes in the box to urinate. But he doesn't ever seem to have a smell, and he's a big floppy lap cat so I'd probably notice if he did. I think a strong urine odor would be something to bring up at the next vet visit though. But some kittens just have different litter habits. Some are very neat, while others don't even bother to try to cover what they've done.
[notify]

Saramina

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:31pm PST 
It's actually getting better... I think it may have just been whatever food she was getting at her Mama cat's house working it's way out of her system.
[notify]

Carbon

MEOW!

Purred: Thu Oct 23, '08 5:59pm PST 
Try using a pet wipe instead of a baby wipe. Pet wipes have a deodorizer in them as well that will help. Also, baby wipes contain alcohol, which is hazardous to cats.

Sounds like it is a grooming issue. A lot of kittens learn to groom themselves after a few more weeks away from their mom cats, so she'll learn too.

dancing
[notify]

Daisy

Daisy aint for- pluckin

Purred: Fri Oct 24, '08 10:40am PST 
Daisy has the same problem, she's six weeks. But hers is from her poo getting caught in her long fur (I know nasty) and she does clean it but she still is a little stinky, we wipe her little butt with baby wipes like you do.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Sun Nov 9, '08 4:03pm PST 
I have stinky kitten butt. It's because sometimes I forget to groom after using the facilities. Also, my big brother usually grooms me, so a lot of time I rely on him to know whether I have stinky butt. If he forgets to inspect me and tell me (he usually sniffs there and then paws me on the head to tell me about it), I'll go up to mom for pets and will look at her quizzically when she says "peh-eew! goodness we smell!". laugh out loud
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 3:57pm PST 
I got my 2 show kittens at 8 weeks, they are about 14 weeks now. I did
notice, when I brought them home, they smelled like the cat box. It took
about 2 weeks, before they adjusted to correctly using the cat box, and
poop to stop sticking to their butts, not diarea, normal poops, and to stop
smelling.

I think its just a period of adjustment. I also pick the cat boxes every day
and use baking soda. You can use un-scented baby wipes, as long as they
say hypoalerginic and alcohol free. Read that in Cat Fancy, and show
people use them. smile smile smile
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Sat Dec 20, '08 10:29pm PST 
Our Baby, Kali, had trouble with smelling when we got her. Her mother had been found pregnant in the wild. The family who found her left momma cat and the kitties in a box in their yard until they brought them to the shelter. All of the kittens got sick and one died. The day we got her, she started sneezing, and she pooped on the floor (too exhausted, sick to make it to the little box). She needed vitamins and antibiotics. She took a long time to learn how to groom. She'd lick one paw and wipe it over her eyes. I bought kitty wipes and wiped her with those and then our older cat, Tiger, took over and groomed the dickens out of her. She'd hold Kali down until she was satisfied. Between the two of us, we kept her clean and eventually she learned to groom herself, I guess from Tiger. Now she grooms us when we are sleeping if our hair is sticking up. She can't stand hair that sticks up. And she tries to groom people on the t.v. We recently got a flat screen used off some friends (an AMAZING deal), and so there is a lot of room in the t.v. cabinet in front of the t.v. for the cats to sit and watch t.v.

Anyhow, I'd get the kitty wipes. I don't think baby wipes would be a very good idea. The kitty wipes are bigger, don't have the weird baby wipe smell, and are made for kitty baths. They worked well until Kali was old enough to groom herself appropriately. In a turn around, she now will straddle Tiger and groom HER and she will get Tiger to lay down and clean Tiger's butt. Our concern now is that Tiger is getting lazy about keeping her own butt clean! eek

Although from some of our reading, we wonder if it's a dominance thing. As if they are saying to one another something like this "I'm the momma." "No, I"M the momma." "No I'M the momma."

I wish I knew what they were saying and thinking . . . .

Allison

Edited by author Sat Dec 20, '08 10:30pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2