GO!

Does the Furminator hurt?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Samie DJ

Must have water!

Purred: Tue Dec 23, '08 2:57am PST 
The furminator is amazing on my cats, especially my shorthair. However it doesnt work at all on my dogs.

Dont think it hurts them, Samie hates being brushed anyway, but Putsy doesn't mind the furminator at all and just walks away when she's had enough.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Wed Dec 24, '08 7:20am PST 
I did hear of a friend who used the Furminator too much and left a bare patch on her cat. She's kind of crazy and I don't keep in touch with her anymore, to be honest. I think a normal person would stop before it got to that point, but who am I to judge?

Allison
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Dec 25, '08 5:37pm PST 
I've heard that the Furminator CAN damage the cat's skin if you use too much pressure. More to the point in your case, while it's great for getting out the fuzzy underfur, it will damage the upper guard hairs, so I wouldn't use it on a long-haired cat, especially a show cat (I tried it once on Harvey and he looked awful).

The Zoom Groom is everything people say it is--and I think the idea of using it when shampooing is great!

Regarding Greyhound brushes, the brand name is Greyhound and they are made in Belgium. Groomers, breeders, and cat show exhibitors swear by them, but they're rather expensive (here, in Japan, they average around $30-40). I suspect that a regular metal comb from the pet shop would be adequate for a pet. The point is that for a long-haired cat, a brush just doesn't get through the top layer to the dead underfur below, which is what gets shed the most.

I can't emphasize how important the occasional bath is. Recently, I saw a cat-bathing net being sold at a cat show. If your cat squirms a lot in the bath, you might want to use a laundry net (the kind used for delicates). Or, some people advise doing it with two people (one to hold, one to bathe) .

My own cats have resigned themselves to being dried by a high-speed hair dryer on low heat, but some of my cat show friends put their cats in a cage and put a space heater (preferably one that blows warm air) near the cage so that the cat dries naturally. I've also heard of people putting the cat in a carrier (the sturdy kind used for airline travel) and directing the heat source at the cat inside. Somehow these methods seem a bit dangerous to me, so I've never tried them, but if you are very careful and make sure that Kitty doesn't get fried, such methods are certainly less traumatic than blow-drying.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2