GO!

I got sprayed by skunk (not directly) Need to be bathed

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Riley

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 11:44am PST 
I need a bath but I hate water and my owner does not know how to bath me with a trip to hospital or being shreddedshrug
[notify]

Chloe

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 1:35pm PST 
I would go to the groomers....skunk is hard to remove. We had a dog that was sprayed...poor thing had to stay in the garage until we could give her a good bath (took about 3 of them, plus tomato juice)....kitty will need more then just a quick bath that a non-bather will take.

Good luck.
[notify]

Punkin

Don't leave me- out of the fun!

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 2:12pm PST 
I have heard this works quickly and efficiently. Don't expect the cat to like it!

-------------------------------------------

A chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that chemically neutralizes skunk odor. The ingredients for the formulation are:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1-2 teaspoons liquid dish soap.
Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately. Never mix the ingredients in advance because oxygen released from hydrogen peroxide may cause a closed container to explode. The solution can be used on people or pets; avoid splashing the product in the eyes or mouth. Allow the solution to remain on hair for five minutes before rinsing with water. Repeat as needed. Do not use this solution on clothing — it may discolor the fabric.
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 2:13pm PST 
Yes, this is a serious undertaking. My girl's first cat was a repeat offender with the skunks and had to be given quite a few skunk baths. We used a special shampoo for getting rid of the oils, but I don't remember what it was called. Skunk Off maybe??? Anyway, he was pretty good natured luckily, but it would take a good 2-3 baths before the smell was at least bearable. Each bath would be a double sudsing and really thorough rinses. Poor kitty probably spent a good 20 minutes in the tub each bath. Having a second pair of hands is a must. It's hard to juggle a fighting cat and water sprayer and shampoo bottle.
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 4:12pm PST 
I would call your vet and see what they would advise. Skunkings usually take multiple baths, but if your cat finds them very aversive, perhaps the vet may be able to suggest something very effective so you can get away with one bath. If you really don't think you could bath your cat thoroughly, and safely, yourself, consider calling a groomer to see what they advise. It is not that expensive to take a cat to a groomer, so it might be worth it for both of you to have it taken care of by a professional.
[notify]