GO!

Dandruff?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '07 4:48pm PST 
Mom noticed that Jewel started scratching her neck a lot more recently(in the past week or so) but used a flea comb and wasn't finding anything. Today mom noticed that a few spots on Jewels neck were bald (really hard to find) and she has a few TINY scabs. Mom re-combed Jewel and all she got was fur and some tiny white flakes. Mom then combed me (even though im not scratching) and found lots of tiny white flakes. Both of our ears look good. We are both indoor cats. About a month ago we switched from Science Diet to Blue Spa Selects dry food. Mom made a vet appointment for Jewel but it's not untill monday morning ( moms working 12 hour shifts thurs, fri, sat). Do you guys think its dry skin maybe caused from switching food? or fleas? or any other ideas? Jewel is terrified of baths so do you guys have any suggestions that might help relieve Jewels Itching?

thinking
[notify]

Riddick

i like feeling- tall

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '07 10:52am PST 
unfortunately Harley a bath would probably be the best thing you can do for Jewel. cats don't get dry skin, the flaking is due to an over accumulation of grease and oil on the skin especially at the shoulder blades and base of the tail. if your pawrents find it too hard to bathe you at home a trip to a local feline stylist might be the best best, especially since they will use the really good shampoos to get you clean. if you want to try bathing at home use a nice degreasing shampoo and NO conditioner. conditioners with leave the coat gummy feeling and make the flaking even worse.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '07 8:27am PST 
Cats can get get dry skin. If you are not finding evidence of fleas then that is likely not the culprit. The scabs are likely from scratching. I would start them on a fatty acid supplement such as Derm caps or 3V caps. They are the omega 3's that are important to a healthy coat. Your vet should carry at least one of these products. They will be able to tell you how to use it and how much to give on a daily basis.
[notify]