GO!

Nail clipping

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel

Treat me like- the princess I- am

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '07 6:43am PST 
When I first came here (in march) i was so timid i didnt even like being pet. Now im a complete mush so mom has slowly been trying to clip my nails. For a while it was only a nail or 2 a week she could get but a few days ago i let mom clip both my back paws and my one front one all in a row! Mom went to do the last paw but i rolled over so she let me be. Now everytime she tries to touch the paw that needs to be clipped still i tuck it under me or run away. Moms thought of having someone else help but when i get really scared i sometimes claw my way out of a situation ( I've been known to make people bleed on accident but when i hear them yelp i go lick them and rub on them because im truly sorry)

I heard her say that as soon as i get this last paw clipped shes going to try softpaws on me because i keep getting my nails caught in Harleys collar which is a break-away kind so i constantly pull it off! The one day my claws got stuck on his collar and he's a lot bigger than me and he dragged me with him down the hall untill the collar snapped off! Im not agressive towards Harley we just play a lot and he is front de-clawed so he cant get me back if i hurt him.

I'll let mom rub (on ocassion) any of my already clipped paws but never the unclipped paw. Mom's looked at it when im sleeping and it doesn't look like theres anything wrong ( i wake up and move before she can get the clippers near me).

Anykitty have any tips?
[notify]

Crash

If it moves,- KEEEEL IT!

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '07 9:36am PST 
Maybe a kitty purrito? That's when you gently wrap a kitty in a towel with just the head and the part that needs attention poking out. It takes practice to get it wrapped right with the neccessary paw out, but once you're wrapped, you can't get away. My friend Demonkitty gets purritoed whenever she has to go to the vet and she's very cool about it. Of course, Demonkitty's mum also gives her treats when she's unwrapped...`
[notify]

Guiness

Tough Blokes- have Tough Cats

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '07 5:25pm PST 
The Guiness has had his claws clipped on a couple of occasions. Last time the big fella(a former West German Army Medic) had to give himself alot of treatment and scrub his blood off the ceiling. We leave them long now.
[notify]

Jewel

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '07 7:17am PST 
OH boy my mom is driving me nuts! All my nails are clipped and she managed to get 3 softpaws on me last night. She is very thankful that im not swatting at her to get away, I just get up and move a few feet over. Shes going to wait untill i stop playing and lay down for a rest to put the rest on. For some reason i keep thinking they are treats (maybe its the plastic bag they are in) and i keep sniffing the caps as she tries to put them on. I must admit i do kind of like my pink nails - they match my collar. But im having a hard time picking up fuzzies and my mouse with the softpaws on. I keep teasing mom and stretching my front paws, spreading my toes and as soon as she tries to put the cap on i retract my claws and tuck my paws under my body.
[notify]

Princess- Sophie- Florida

I rule this- kingdom!

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '07 10:54am PST 
Hi Jewel, keep us posted on the soft paws and if they work out for you! My mommy has a great way to clip claws on even the wiggliest kittys, all you have to do is get a clothespin, the clippy kind, and clip it on kittys neck to simulate a mother hold. first chech to make sure it is the proper tension by putting it on your own ear first though, if it hurts, then its too tight. This calms the kitty down, reverts back to thinking its mother has ahold of it, and allows you to have both hands free while clipping their nails. Try it, it really works!
[notify]

Jewel

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '07 3:48pm PST 
Well mom got all my softpaws on me wed afternoon. By friday i had ripped 3 off. and saturday i ripped a few more off. Mom put one back on last night but was too tired to fight me on it. She works 12 hour shifts Thurs-Sat. Today mom was on the computer and i ran in with something in my mouth and dropped it right in front of her! She wasn't exactly thrilled that it was ANOTHER softpaw! She promptly put one back on but then i plopped myself in front of the food bowl and wouldnt budge. Mom said shes going to try that clothes pin idea. If not dad will help mom. I seem to be really good if he holds me becauseI know he's the boss. Mom thinks that i don't mind the caps themselves, i just can't pick up my fuzzy balls with my paws anymore. Plus mom was sloppy and got a little bit of glue on my fur because she filled the cap up too much before she put it on - shes better now though. Dad said softpaws HAVE to work for me because he gets really worried when i fight with Harley. He thinks i might get him in the eye or something because I never really learned how to play with other cats when i was a kitten. I'll keep you guys updated
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 3:04pm PST 
Jewel's mom,

I know cats can be very stubborn about doing this if they know they are being watched or know you want them to relax, but mom says I'm a lot better about clipping claws if I am halfway asleep, and I actually enjoy her stroking my paws! She waits for me to fall asleep in the afternoon-evenings, and then out comes the clipper. By that point I'm so sleepy I'll let mom do whatever she wants with me. We've gotten it down to where clipping paws is very easy on both of us. Also, mom should get you used to have your paws and body handled period. Mom does that by stroking my paws when I go by her for cuddles. At first I would snatch them back and act all put off, but eventually I relaxed about it and now let her hold my paws whenever she wants to. red face
[notify]

Margo

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 3:52pm PST 
Just let your mommy clips your nails. It doesn't hurt . it's for your own good. My mommy clips my nails. My sister Libby whines when she gets clipped. I tell her to just stay still.
[notify]

Jubilee

Princess- Prettypants

Purred: Thu Sep 20, '07 11:42am PST 
Jewel, I'm very impressed with you!!!!

I HATE having my claws trimmed! Your must love and trust your mom very much! My mom has had me since May, and I still only let her trim one or two claws at a time, if she's really lucky. At all other times I am as easygoing as you could ask -- I don't really mind having my paws touched, it's just when Mom extends my claws to clip them that I get upset. Usually I twist and squirm and cry bloody murder as soon she she squeezes my pawpad, and Mom, although she is experienced with handling cats, is still a big softie and worries that I will hurt myself, so she lets go and I escape with my razor-sharp claws still intact. (I don't even run away -- I just give Mom a bad look and go back to sleep. Then she feels bad for "upsetting" me and waits a day or two to try again. Ha ha ha!) The bedspread is covered with claw-picks. Mom is about ready to try the "purrito," because I like to wake her up in the mornings by making bread on her neck!

Keep us posted on your progress with the Softpaws! smile Mom and I are rooting for you!
[notify]

Bumbucha

Just love me!

Purred: Thu Sep 20, '07 2:04pm PST 
Me and my brother hated having our nails clipped. We would run, squiqqle, hide our paws...just anything to avoid it. Know what my mom did?

She got our favorite toy and played with us for about 15-20 minutes. We had so much fun, we ran and ran around the house chasing that feather on a stick. Whew! We got so tired!

After that mommy just picked us up and started cutting our nails. We were too exhausted to resist!! After several times, she didn't have to do that anymore, cause we just got used to the nail clippings and figured out it wasn't that bad. Now we even let her cut the nails on our back paws when she wants.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2