GO!

costly teeth cleaning

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

The Gentle Giant

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 9:36am PST 
At our last check up the vet suggested we (me and my two siblings) come in for a professional cleaning because tarter is starting to build up. So mom talked to the receptionist about making an appt for that and was completely floored they told her the price. $400 for teeth cleaning! Oh my!! Is this the average price? shrug That would be $1200 for the 3 of us.
[notify]

Max

If I want- it...it's mine!

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:52am PST 
You might ask your vet if $400 is for all three. That sounds steep for 1 kitty. I had a dental recently and had 6 teeth pulled and it was only $180. I hope everything goes well for you and your siblings!
[notify]

ishtar- *proud- wobnapt*

monday-again!

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 9:10am PST 
ooooouuuuuwwww... In any case this is very costly. Have your humans asked the vet about some kind of tooth-paste? I had a dental cleaning last year (for absolutely fewer € than you've been offered $) and afterwards we were given some kind of tooth-paste. This does not the same that paste for humans does. It is not for cleaning but it should change the spittle so danger of tartar returning is lowered. That stuff does not taste too bad and my human is convinced it helps. Actually this won't prevent you from getting your teeth cleaned - but maybe it'll help keeping dental treatment a rare therapy.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 10:42am PST 
$400 sounds about right if it includes bloodwork and other tests that may need to be done before subjecting you to the procedure.

I had my teeth cleaned last year, and the bloodwork and exam came to about $200, then the procedure itself was another $320. I'm guessing that for you the procedure might cost less if you are younger, since my vet felt it was necessary to take extra precautions, like an IV and antibiotics, because I was 13 years old. I also had one tooth extracted.

So if the bill breaks down to about $200 for preliminary tests and $200 for the cleaning, that's probably around the average. If the $400 is for the cleaning alone and doesn't include anything else, I'd be shopping around for a new vet.

Piper

Squeaker the- mini cat

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 7:45pm PST 
I'll give you all a hot tip!!
If you chew on some raw chicken necks or wings, they clean your teeth naturally!!! Never cooked bones as they can splinter.
My vet says my sister and I have the most beautiful teeth she's seen!!
[notify]

Max

The Gentle Giant

Purred: Mon Aug 20, '07 7:46pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your posts. It's been a few days since mom has been able to check the forums. She feels like she's missed SO much. Anyway, the price quoted is $400 per cat. Arthur, you're right about the bloodwork. Since this will be their first time, the vet says they HAVE to get all the bloodwork and tests done...which makes me wonder what the process is. With 3 kitties in the house and money being tight, we will not be getting our teeth cleaned. But mom will be taking your advice, Ishtar. She's going to Petco and buying toothpaste and brush since we've been giving mom a hard time transitioning to raw. Mom would LOVE it if we'd eat the chicken necks.
[notify]

☆- Wookiee- ☆

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '07 1:03pm PST 
I get asked about teeth a lot since I am a groomer. First off, if your teeth are already dirty, brushing them won't help. Brushing only helps if you had always been doing it, or if you want to start doing it after the kitties teeth get cleaned. Just like people, brushing your teeth isn't going to remove tarter, only a dentist can do it. You can try and get some dental tools and scale the teeth yourself if they aren't really bad.
Second, I would check around for other vets. The 1st vet we took our new pound pup too (well a year ago) went on and on about how bad her teeth look. Wanted to charge $300 for her teeth to get cleaned. Even his receptionist told us that her teeth were fine. And then I started to use a new vet because obviously this guy is trying to rip us off. The new vet laughed and said her teeth were fine.
A lot of low cost spay and nueter places offer teeth cleaning for 1/2 the price as vets. If you don't have those anywhere and your kitties teeth do actually need to be cleaned, shop around for prices, ask friends what vets they would recommend, see if anyone can offer you payment plans.
Also, is your kitties eating wet food? Wet food is good for kitties that won't drink water, but it helps decay their teeth really fast. Dry food is good for their teeth, helps keeps them clean.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '07 4:42pm PST 
DO NOT try to scale the teeth on your own. Unless you want to get a nasty bite and end up in the doctors office yourself. Besides, the only effective teeth cleaning is when the animal is fully anesthetized and the teeth can be fully cleaned and assessed.

Here is the Bay area, CA the avg. costs are...

Exam $30-50
pre anesthetic blood work $50-100
if no problems with bloodwork then..
dental should be in the range of $150 (including anesthesia)

If any kidney or liver issues then you could be looking at IV fluids which could increase your cost up to $75-100

All cats undergoing a routine cleaning should also get an injection of antibiotics..$15
and Rx of antibiotics $15-25

Any extractions would depend on the actual tooth needing extraction. If there are extractions, expect to also pay for pain medication (injection and an Rx).

Animal dental health month is usually in February and many vet hospitals have dental specials during that month. You may want to inquire about that.

Dry food is no better for your teeth than wet food. Both will cause tarter and plaque. Brushing will no remove what has already accumulated, only a full cleaning can do that, but it will help prevent more from building up so quickly.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '07 5:08pm PST 
I am having my teeth cleaned next month. The estimate is about $350. That includes the day ward fee, x-rays, anesthesia, bloodwork before the cleaning, monitoring, the cleaning, and pain medicine. Call around and ask how much a dental is and what it includes.
[notify]

PUDGE&hearts- ;in- memory&heart- s;

fear me mice!

Purred: Wed Oct 10, '07 6:11pm PST 
we're in md. yeah we're bout that bad. i just asked my vet yesterday. if it's "not bad" $200, but their prices can go higher. the reason it's expensive is it's treated like a surgical procedure. so after the sticker shock, i laughed and decided that $7 toothpaste and the aggravation of training them to accept was cheaper than that lol. another case where prevention is cheaper than solution.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2