GO!

wee! i'm turning brown!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
pearl

did you say- 'meow?'

Purred: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:17pm PST 
i'm turning brown! that's ok, mom thinks its pretty... but why am i turning brown?
i eat a high-quality, grain-free kitty kibble, i get brushed regularly, and i'm a healthy girl.
any ideas? is this a bad thing? or is it normal for black kitties to turn brown? (i'm only browning on my legs and under tummy.) i'm 6 years old- ish, and my mom just wants to know what's going on! thanks guys!!!
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 8:11am PST 
Hey Pearl:

I am turning brown also. I was a year old in April, 2007. My coat on my back is still very black, but on mychest and tummy it is the color of very dark chocolate. My meowmy is not worried, she called the vet, and she said sometimes as a cat matures the coat may change color. Since my sister Emma and I were left at a vet hospital when we were two weeks old, we don't know what color our mom and dadcats were. Emma is still very black, oh, and I have some white hairs coming out on my tail. My meowmy said she is SURE those are not from worry (MOL).

If your meowmy is worried, tell her to call her vet they are always the best place to check if you are worried about changes in your kitty. Also, another cat on CATSTER may have had the same thing happen, and can offer another suggestion.

By the way, I think you are a very pretty kitty no matter what.

Purrs,
Louis
[notify]

pearl

did you say- 'meow?'

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 1:28pm PST 
thanks louis! next time i go for my checkup we'll bring it up with my doc. for now, i'm a happy, healthy gal, who is turning brown! mom says i'm the prettiest two-toned cat on the block!
[notify]

Sneakers

Searching for- the fountain of- youth...

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 2:26pm PST 
I agree that changing colors is normal. Now if you start losing your fur, there's an issue! I had a sister, Cookie, that looked just like you. When she was a baby she was all black. But when she got older, she got brown patches in some spots. It's a kitty thing!
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 7:00pm PST 
This is Delyte. I am turning brown, too. I never really was completely black and you can tell it in pictures where I was with Peri, my late companion. She was ink colored. I am getting rustier and rustier as I get older. The vet seems to think it is due to old age.

There are worse things than going brown. I developed a white polka dot on my side where the growth was attached on the inside, and a white tuft on my chest where the incision was. Not a perfect black cat any more, that's for sure!
[notify]

Emma- (2006-2008)

It's all about- MEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '07 5:56am PST 
Sometimes, as in Delyte's case, it's a matter of maturing, but in cats who are just coming into their own, it's more about genetics. Since our lineage isn't really known (unless you're a purebred), the brown is just a little bit of the recessive mix (usually a tabby) coming out. I was pretty black (with silver roots) as a kitten, and my brother (litter mate), Jake, was a silver tabby. But now that we're a year old, the blackness of my fur has a reddish-brown quality to it, and Jake has an almost lilac-pinkness to it! Go figure! It's just from being a mixed breed.

We agree with the other postings -- fur color isn't so much an issue, but if the quality or quantity of the fur changes, then a trip to the vet is warranted.
[notify]

Dora Lee- Explorer

Dora Dora Dora- Lee Explorer!

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '07 9:21pm PST 
Hey..I changed colors too! You should check out the transformation on my page. Seriously...and I thought I was the only one! lol. how typical...
[notify]

pearl

did you say- 'meow?'

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '07 10:06pm PST 
dora, you did make a huge change! how neat! you're pretty in any color!
today mom told me it was from sitting in the sun puddles in the window all day- getting bleached! mol!
thanks guys for all your great responses. its neat to know that i might have had a tabby parent in there somewhere- or any other breed for that matter. all mom cares about is that i'm a happy health gal, even if i turned purple!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '07 11:51pm PST 
I've been turning brown, too! It started as a few lighter patches of fur, but I've been getting browner and browner as time goes on. My vet doesn't think it's anything to be worried about. Mom thinks (in my case, at least) it's like the black cat equivalent of a human's gray hair! laugh out loud

Wow, Dora! Your metamorphosis was amazing! Is your color still changing?

Emma- (2006-2008)

It's all about- MEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '07 4:44am PST 
Well, whatever the reason is, we all have something else in common: We're all stunning!! laugh out loud

Dora Lee, what big (and beautiful) eyes you have!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2