GO!

polydactyl cats and coloring

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Ziggy- Six-Toes

Rasta Man

Purred: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:01am PST 
I am a tuxedo and have 7 toes :3
Daddy says it makes me unique kitty
[notify]

Gyselle

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:34pm PST 
Genetically, except for dominant white which masks all other colors, black and its tabby counterpart, the brown mackerel tabby, are dominant over all other cat colors & patterns. The white spotting gene is also dominant. Overall, brown mackerel tabby and black cats, with or without white markings, are the most commonly seen domestic cat colors and patterns. So the odds naturally favor a polydactyl being a brown mackerel tabby or a black with or without white markings. Color is unrelated to the polydactyl trait.
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:17pm PST 
Nope - no correlation with polydactyly and coat color! I am a red classic tabby with extra toes in the "mitten paw" configuration and Claude is a brown ticked with extra toes in the "patty paw" configuration he also has an extra on each back paw. We are Maine Coons and it is true that poly MCs are NOT accepted as breed standard, but we can be registered as MCs. So showing in rings with "standard" pawed cats is not allowed - or at least leads to disqualification.
Some of us that are owned by poly MCs are trying to get this trait accepted as part of the breed standard in the cat registries. Some strides have been made in TICA and also in CFF. In TICA we are able to show these cats in the "new traits" rings and in CFF we are exposing the polys to the judges in "Fun" rings. he judges ask questions and thoroughly inspect the cats for breed standard and then look at the paws.
It has been interesting to talk with the judges in CFF and we have found that most of them are not opposed to the poly trait - after all, at one time almost 40% of all Maine Coons were poly cats! In CFF we have submitted a breed standard for poly MCs. The standard we have written calls for the poly MC to meet the breed standard, no more than seven toes in front and six in back, the extra toes must touch the ground and be fully functional. We are hoping it will soon be accepted.
Please wish us luck!!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue May 7, '13 7:40am PST 
bi-color takes over cats because it can be "on top of" any other coat color.this makes it easy to pass on.
[notify]

Gabielle

Tons of toes!

Purred: Sat May 18, '13 7:45pm PST 
I'm a polydactl, and a few of my littermates were polydactls also. My sisfur , who lives with me, is a calico. My other brofur and sisfur are orange and white, and brown tabby and white. I also used to live with a few other polydactls who weren't related to any of the rest of us. Two of them were solid white. Polys can come in any color, we think! wave
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2