GO!

How to get me to enjoy a bath

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Feb 22, '06 2:01pm PST 
I think when people talk about bonding with their cats through grooming, they are talking about brushing and combing, which most cats enjoy, more than bathing, which most cats don't like too much. (The trick to brushing is to use short strokes, similar to how cats groom themselves. They understand that better than long strokes, which humans feel more comfortable with.)

If your cat needs a little spot cleaning, try a damp facecloth, as someone else mentioned, or you can get pre-moistened pet-bathing cloths from most pet stores. Mine aren't really in love with that either, but they tolerate it better than being dunked in a tub.
[notify]

Sweetie- (1996-2008)

An angel in- disguise

Purred: Thu Feb 23, '06 7:42am PST 
Alex you always have such helpful hints!!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Thu Feb 23, '06 1:46pm PST 
Thanks, Sweetie, but I wish I'd noticed that this kitty is one of our wonderful Asian friends and may not have access to the same products that I am used to. I don't know if they have cat-bathing cloths there. DD, the unscented baby wipes that you mentioned should be fine.
[notify]

Benjamin

Make way for- me!

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '06 1:55pm PST 
When our new kitty came to live in the house, Mom had to bathe him. If you touched him, your hand smelled really bad! He tolerated it very well. (Mom thought that if she was a feral cat living outside in the winter, she wouldn't bathe herself, either!) Now that he lives inside, he keeps himself clean, except sometimes he gets poo on his butt and doesn't seem to notice it. Ewwww! Mom bought bath wipes just for him.
[notify]

Vash

The Cat Stampede

Purred: Thu Mar 23, '06 3:48pm PST 
I find grooming, such as combing a very good bonding tool. As other said, putting the cat in water in a bath, may not be helpful to their skin. If combing can't get the problems out of the cat, maybe a yearly bath would help?
[notify]

Cosmo

I'd do it for a- Cosmo Snack

Purred: Fri Mar 24, '06 9:42am PST 
Hi DD!

I'd have to agree with most posts that you probably shouldn't need a bath, especially if it scares you. A washcloth rinsed in warm water (keep one just for you) is probably the best way to clean up any 'poo paws'!

However, if you must have a bath, there's a few things that might be helpful. First, is the water too hot or cold? I don't know the exact temperature in degrees that is recommended, but cats are a little warmer than humans - maybe it was too cold? (but be careful not to go too far the other way and burn)
Also, my cats hate running water (and the sound echoes in the tiled room!) but they are ok with still water. Make sure the bath is already filled before you get the cat.
Make sure the water isn't too deep - I think deeper than the cat's belly may be too deep.
The cat will feel much more secure if their feet can't slip - a non-slip rubber mat or something is a good idea. I've read that a towel in the bottom of the bath is good, but when I try it seems to float up too much.
Make very sure the cat doesn't get cold after the bath. Some people use a hairdryer but there's no way my cats would like that!!! DD may be scared by it too, so I'd recommend nothing noisy like that. Either do it on a very warm day or put her in a heated room until she's dry.

A tip I read was that if your cat is scared of even going in that room, try making it less scary before you even put her in a bath by putting treats in there for her, and continue for a while until she's not scared of the room.

Here's a couple of sites that aren't too bad:
http://wiki.ehow.com/Give-Your-Cat-a-Bath-Without-Fear
http:/ /www.whiskas.com.au/kitten/faq_ans.asp?p=3

But I'd still say if it really scares her that much, use the washcloth instead! In 7 years I've only had to bath my cats a few times. If they were totally indoor cats I would never have had to!

Good luck DD !!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2