GO!

Ear cleaning

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '06 3:51pm PST 
I am kind of embarrassed to bring this up, but I guess I don't clean too well, because my ears are kind of grimy. The "way inside" part is nice and pink and doesn't seem to have any wax or mites or anything in there, but the parts nearer the edges look dusty-dirty.

My human tried to moisten a cotton ball with a little vitamin E and dab at the inside of my ear, but it didn't seem to help much. I didn't like it, either! Most natural care books say that cats will rub off the oil with the next face washing, but I don't think I did that at all.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
[notify]

Mirabelle

Lieutenant- General of the- Smushy Faces

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '06 4:20pm PST 
Hi Hattie! *waves*

I know I responded to you in MNI but I thought I'd post here in case other kitties wanted to know about a good ear cleaner. Mom uses Ark Naturals Ears All Right on a cotton ball and she gently wipes around the inside of my ear. She doesn't go far in, just around the surface. It's really good stuff and it contains human grade all natural bontanicals.

I can't say as I enjoy having my ears cleaned but it's a necessary evil.
[notify]

Dakota

Kitties are born- to run and be- loved

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '06 3:20pm PST 
Awww I hate it too. I have a slight infection so I have to have a real cleaning and medicine in my ear. My Mom cuddles me after it is over. I guess it is something that we cats have to go through. Our vet even used an alcohol base medicine, but I don't mind it too much. The smell is just awful at first.
Good luck
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '06 7:06pm PST 
Yeah, I have my ears cleaned too. Since Mommy can't see well enough to do it, Grandma wets a Q-tip and dries most of the water off, and then sticks that thing in my ear!
Oooooooh I hate that!
Last year I even had to have ear drops. That sucked. and I gave Mommy a hard time.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Wed Feb 8, '06 4:17pm PST 
Hi, Mira *waving a paw*
Hi, Dakota!
Hi, Squeakers!

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions! It's good to know I'm not the only kitty with this issue, and I really appreciate your input. We'll try it out this weekend.

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
[notify]

Candy

Queen Of The- Food

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '06 7:04am PST 
i'm glad i don't have to have my ears cleaned! my mommy is so proud of me and ginger for being so clean!

but for you i have no ide because i do not have my ears cleaned myself so i can be no help.
[notify]

*Destiny*

mew mew mew and- a mew mew mew

Purred: Sun Mar 12, '06 10:04am PST 
anyone have any ideas on how to make ear cleaning easier for me and my mommy...i hate having my ears cleaned....and even when she's super gentle, i get freaked out and accidentally shred her arms up....eep...
[notify]

Azurine- Ambrosia

I DID NOT DO IT

Purred: Sun Mar 12, '06 1:21pm PST 
my mommsie uses old fashion mineral oil, does not hurt if you get it on your paws and it cleans easy and does not leave your ear oily. Tell you mommie only to dip it in once, do not need a lot, mommie used a lot the first time, thought I had gone deep sea diving, took me half a day to hear right again.. in between cleaning just take your finger and wipe the upper inside or use a tissure. cotten can stick to your ear. sometimes just a damp cloth works.. never go down inside ,,, mommsy says that would hurt Bluie
[notify]

Sophie♥- ;

Wally's Forever- Love

Purred: Sun Mar 12, '06 2:54pm PST 
We use hydrogen peroxide, but I pour a little in a glass dish and warm it a little so it doesn't feel cold. Then we dip the Q-tip, and wring it almost dry. You don't want to drop any liquid it the ear because it will pop and sizzle and scare the poor cat to death! This is how our vet said to do it, and it seems to help.
[notify]

Sophie♥- ;

Wally's Forever- Love

Purred: Sun Mar 12, '06 2:56pm PST 
Oh, and yes, that is why I am hiding under the covers!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2