GO!

Help... Overgrooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Loki

my Fluffernutter

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 12:11pm PST 
beside all the other wonderful suggestion try adding extra playtime and cuddle time to make things less stressful since she now has to share you.. Make sure she is akways #1 and give the extra attention she seems to need.
[notify]

Tek

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 6:11pm PST 
I used to do that but it's because I'm allergic to fleas, once I licked ALL of the fur from my hindquarters, so much that I had even licked a wound down into the muscle, it wasn't nice. Luckily after what seemed like a thousand vet trips they found out it was because I'm allergic to fleas.

Edited by author Thu Apr 27, '06 6:12pm PST

[notify]

Percy

Percy-AKA- Snowball

Purred: Sat Apr 29, '06 12:20pm PST 
Aww! Poor fur friends!! I would think that the Be Calm or natural remedies will be better for you than drugs....I hate it when I have to do drugs for anything, I like to be natural wink Percy
[notify]

Coco

Homeland- Security

Purred: Sat Apr 29, '06 6:51pm PST 
Wow, Percy, what gorgeous fur you have!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sun May 7, '06 4:11pm PST 
I overgroom, too--my lower belly rarely has any fur. When my foster brother, Ben, first came, the furless patch got bigger and I also started gnawing on my front leg until it got scabby.

Our mommy put a Feliway diffuser in the area where we spend most of our time, but it didn't make much of a difference to me. My brother, Arthur, loved it, though. He used to sit right next to it so he could breathe the aroma. Silly boy! I think that stuff like that works on some cats but not others.

Mommy got us some of the Bach's drops, too. She wasn't sure if it would work, so she tested it on herself first (hey, it says it's for humans, too! hehe). She didn't really notice a difference, but she figured it wouldn't hurt to try. We, of course, got one whiff of it and didn't want to have anything to do with it. I guess it might have helped if she'd realized that she was supposed to dilute it. Silly human! We might try it again sometime, since we still have an almost full bottle.

Eventually I started getting used to Ben and stopped biting my leg and the hairless patch on my belly shrank down to it's usual size. There's even some hair coming in there! smile

At my last vet checkup, mommy asked the dr. about meds that might help, but he didn't seem concerned enough about my compulsion to prescribe anything. I guess he thinks, like I do, that it's my fur and I can fix it any way I like! smile

Patches (1992-2006)

Mr. Bushy

Purred: Mon May 8, '06 11:45pm PST 
Could it be you may have an allergy of some sort? This will cause hair to fall out and bald patches.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2