GO!

My baby's sick with anemia

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiloh

rest in peace my- little baby boy

Purred: Thu Mar 12, '09 9:55am PST 
Shiloh is not even three years old yet. On December 19th, 2008, he began vomiting. Two days later he hadn't stopped and was 'hiding.' We brought him to the vet and he stayed there over Christmas. We found out he had a case of pancreatitis and was sent home on medication and bland cat food. He recovered, but didn't gain any of the weight back that he lost. I thought that this was good because he was sort of chubby to begin with.

Around the 27th of February, I noticed Shiloh was not eating as much as he usually does. I watched him closely and a few days later he wasn't eating at all. I had to wait and save up money before I could take him in to the vet. I thought that maybe he was feeling depressed because we have 3 other cats and he had to stay alone in my room a lot because of his special dietary condition. So I brought him over to my Mom's house over March Break to see if he would get better. We force fed him until I could take him to the vet this Tuesday.

The vet told me he was severely anemic and feared the worst - Feline Immuno Virus or Feline Leukemia. I cried and held my baby until the test came back - Negative. A sigh of relief, one hurdle passed. Now he is staying with the vet as they attempt to coax his bone marrow into producing lots of red blood cells.

I'm so worried because the vet is still acting like the prognosis is not that great for him. He has lost a lot of weight and is a weak little rail right now. I can't help but think about when he used to be healthy and how I would do anything to have him healthy again. I am a university student with no money and I won't be paying my rent so that he can have all the treatment I can get for him. My boyfriend is helping me... but it all feels so hopeless. This little guy has been through a lot with me, we're best friends and I just want him to be okay.

I am nineteen years old and this is my very first cat. He's barely had a chance to live yet, being so young. Please pray for him or at least hold him in your thoughts, maybe the power of combined thought will help him pull through or something. Please...

I will keep this updated. I have not received a phone call from the vet yet and I am assuming that this is a good thing, at least he isn't doing worse than when he initially came in.
[notify]

Biscuit- (Angel)

Guardian- Angel~23.8 Years- of Love

Purred: Thu Mar 12, '09 12:24pm PST 
Purrrs of healing for you!! hug

Did yourvet specifically say that your anemia is non-regenerative?
Do you have immature blood cells to show your marrow is making them?

If your count is non-regenerative and very low you can try Epogen to stimulate the marrow. It's a lifesaver but should only be used as the last resort.

Have you been tested for hemobartonella blood parasite? It can be very hard to see because it cycles and it very very small.

Good luck and I purrr you feel better soon!
In the mean time plz join the Yahoo feline anemia support group. I don't have the link right now but just google and join up.
They will def point you in the right direction. Promise!

Many purrrrs,
Biscuit
[notify]

Shiloh

Purred: Thu Mar 12, '09 6:37pm PST 
At the moment the vet doesn't seem to know what the exact problem is. He told me he would put Shiloh on an IV antibiotic to see if his bone marrow will start producing red blood cells on its own. He said that it would take a couple of days to see. I think then I will know if it's non-regenerative or not. The initial test showed that he wasn't producing enough by himself and I think whatever he is taking right now is supposed to stimulate it some. I don't know a whole lot about it so I am recounting as much as I remember.

I have been researching everything I can about anemia and will be talking to the vet tomorrow about it. Until then I'll definitely check out the Yahoo group, thanks so much for the purrs and the information.

Last time I had my kitty at this particular clinic, he came home happy, freshly bathed and groomed, his claws trimmed, they taught me how to pill him, gave me pill pockets and threw in an x-ray for free. The cage they kept him in was exceptionally clean. It makes me feel a little better about him being there, cause I know this vet isn't purely trying to make money. I think they will do everything they can to help him. I just hope the help is enough.
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 4:52am PST 
my kitty clan is sending purrs your way, feel better soon!
[notify]

Shiloh

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 5:22pm PST 
I've heard from the vet...

White blood cell level stabilized
Red blood cell level lower than before...

He doesn't have CRF for sure

He thinks it's cancer

There isn't much I can do for him anymore

:'(
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 5:35pm PST 
Sending purrs your way and praying for you.

xoxoxoxo

Emma Kitty- 5/18/90-2/21- /06

Don't pet me,- feed me!

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 6:20pm PST 
Purrring for you pretty Shilohhugwishes
[notify]

Faith- *Bridge- Angel*

I'm the queen of- my domain

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 7:01pm PST 
Shiloh, we are praying for you. My sister Scooter is in PAWS Angels and she's a pup...she wants me to know she's praying for you too!

hughughughughughughughughug
[notify]

Miss Daisy

I'm a happy- girl!

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 7:06pm PST 
We've sent out an All Points Purr Bulletin in our family. We're PURRING fur the best!!! Purlease keep us posted!
[notify]

Piewackit

Tortietude? Yep- I have it!!

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '09 7:58pm PST 
We're all purring like crazy for you Shiloh! Please get better. Your mom is very worried about you. We stopped by your page too to leave the Power of the Paw. It is an awesome thing. And, I sure hope that it will help you too.
hughug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2