GO!

Bast in the hospital :(

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bast

I can open- cupboards!

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 3:34am PST 
About 2 weeks ago we noticed Bast had been losing weight, and very fast. Last week he became quite lethargic, and just generally didn't feel well. Not eating, not wanting to drink, and then he became jaundiced. I gave him subcutaneous fluids Sat and Sun, and then took him to the vet on Monday morning after work. She took one look at him and sent us to the emergency animal clinic in Lynnwood, where he was admitted. He has hepatic lipidosis, which happens when a kitty stops eating and fat deposits build up in the liver. They also found bacteria in his urine, so he's on clavanox-a wide spectrum antibiotic. He is getting IV fluids with vitamin B, had a feeding tube inserted and is tolerating feedings well. The vet gave him vitamin K to support him clotting factors, acetylcysteine to support his kidney and liver functions. Yesterday he recieved supplemental potassium and phosphorus. The vet suspects he may have pyelonephritis, a kidney infection, which may have caused his not eating. Or it could be because of our recent move, remodeling, stress, etc. So he is going to be ok, but will stay in the hospital until Thursday. The feeding tube will stay in, we will need to give him feedings every six hours until he demonstrates good oral intake. At 8 1/2 years old he is way too young to be this sick or die. I feel guilty that I didn't notice the changes earlier, but kitties are very good at hiding their illnesses. I moved the feeding area to a more central location in the house so we can monitor when and how much they are eating. Hoping to bring him home friday!!!
[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:35am PST 
Hi Bast,
Putting you on the List on Page One of the Catsters in Need of Serious Purring thread and also posting at the end of the thread.
You have to eat to get better.
Hazel Lucy
[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:37am PST 
Catster has major FLEAS!

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 6:43am PST

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:37am PST 
Hazel Lucy

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 6:44am PST

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:38am PST 
Sorry for the repeat, it's Catster server's fault.

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

o

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 6:45am PST

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

y

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 6:45am PST

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:39am PST 
y

[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 6:42am PST 
%

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 6:43am PST

[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Oct 16, '08 9:48am PST 
This is Delyte. Bast, I hope you are starting to feel better after all that medicine and that you can come home soon! Take care of yourself and don't worry about that new location--the people love you and will take care of you and that is all that matters. You'll soon find some interesting new places to nap there! wave
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2