GO!

One dose of Metacam caused acute kidney failure

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bonnie

It's all about- me

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '08 6:45pm PST 
The vet told my mom that my kidneys may be too damaged to produce urine. She is heartbroken. I went to the vet on the weekend for an infection in my eye and they gave me Metacam. 2 days later I quit eating and started throwing up, so my mom took me to the vet again and they did bloodwork. I got lots of fluids today, and I got to come home tonight. I go back to the hospital tomorrow. My mommy is really scared.
[notify]

Velvet- 1992-2008

Grimalkin Power

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '08 6:52pm PST 
Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've taken Metacam with no obvious problem so I'm very sorry to hear that it effected you this way. I will tell mommy to be careful with it where my sisters are concerned. I will also purr for you and watch over you. hug
[notify]

Black Jack- (Angel)

Bravest Angel

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '08 7:48pm PST 
Purrrrs for you sweet Bonnie. I'm sending healing purrrs straight to you.

Purrrrrs,
Black Jack
[notify]

Shadow

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '08 8:36pm PST 
My Shadow had REALLY terrible kidney values (I took him in for vomiting) they hospitalized him and gave him IV fluids/flushed his kidneys for 4 days, and the kidneys are fine now (so far, this happened mid Sept. ) See if they can do that, esp. if the blood work tomorrow is even a BIT improved (or even if not, he may need to be flushed out more) it may be at least worth mentioning! You are in our prayers tonight. I think it is called urisis? (sounds like, Youreesis) Hope this helps.
[notify]

Bonnie

It's all about- me

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '08 9:16pm PST 
My mommy is happy that I did go pee one time today. The vet thought my kidneys may not be able to produce urine, we are glad that they were wrong. I have not eaten since Monday but guess what? I ate one spoon full of Hills A/D on my own tonight, and I had 3 treats.

My mom found a website called "Metacam Kills Cats" when she was researching Metacam tonight. She read that it is NOT FDA approved for use in cats. I had one injection and one oral dose. They sent me home with 3 doses, but my mom quit giving it to me when I started vomiting. I did not get the Metacam from my regular vet, I had to go to another vet because it was Sunday night and my vet was not open. My mom thinks that probably some kitties do not get sick from the Metacam, but she found that many do have kidney problems, just like me. Our family dog has been taking Metacam since last July and has never had any problems. I have been drinking lots of water tonight, but no pee. I go back to the hospital for treatment tomorrow. My vet thinks I do better at home than in the clinic, so he sometimes just shows my mom how to give me my medicines. At the vet, I hide under a blanket all day. I am more comfortable here, and he thinks that will help me to get better faster. I do not want to say bad things about Metacam since I know it probably helps some kitties, but it almost killed me, and we are not even sure that my kidneys will start functioning properly again.........my mom is trying to stay hopeful, but she is still crying a lot..... Purrs, Bonnie
[notify]

Tigger- McGrumpypant- s ('95-'10)

This is my house- - you will do as I- say.

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 12:55pm PST 
I have heard of another kitty with the Metcam issue as well, and she went to the Bridge too early for her time. Just terrible.

I hope you are doing better. We are purring for you!

Tigger
[notify]

Muffin

Purred: Mon Apr 7, '08 3:41am PST 
Any more updates? Puring for you real hard.
[notify]

Worlds- Coolest- Rustle WLHL

Good 'ere innit?

Purred: Mon Apr 7, '08 12:21pm PST 
Oh Bonnie, how are you doing? Your poor Mum must be in bits, we are purring hard for you.
Rustle and the Yorkshire PudsXXXXX
[notify]

Bonnie

It's all about- me

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '08 6:07pm PST 
I am doing lots better now!!smile

There has been a huge improvement in my kidney values. My vet thinks I am going to be okay, but it is too soon to tell for sure.

I started eating on my own recently, and I ate 1/4 can of A/D this morning.

Acute Renal Failure is sometimes easier to treat than CRF. My mom has been giving me subq fluids at home.
[notify]

Black Jack- (Angel)

Bravest Angel

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '08 6:33pm PST 
Great news!

Even tho it's still early...one day at a time and you had a good day =)
Keep up the good work! I'm purrring for you wink

Luv,
Black Jack
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2