GO!

Allergic reaction to Fancy Feast?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 5:47am PST 
So sometimes I give Hunter Fancy Feast. Not all the time. He loves it though. I've noticed since I've given it to him, that he bites one of his back paws. The back left one actually. He will actually stick it in his mouth and chew on it for a second or two. Yesterday I tried to check to see if he had something stuck in his paw. I didn't really get a good look, he was ready to claw my face off. I checked it again this morning and everything seems okay.

He doesn't bite it all the time. He walks on it fine. If I touch his paw, he doesn't cry or flinch. Its only been this past month, and I just thought it would be connected to the Fancy Feast, since hes only been eating it for about a month.

What do you guys think??
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:11am PST 
Some varieties of Fancy Feast contains wheat gluten which can be an allergen. Try feeding non-wheat gluten Fancy Feast for awhile and see if that helps. Here's a short list of wheat-gluten free Fancy Feast: http://felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:41am PST 
You already feed the gluten free right? I HOPE! MOL! FF has some questionable chemicals in it. Sometimes mom feeds it to us when we get super picky but she doesn't like that at all because of some of the stuff in it. There may be a meat by product in it that Hunter can't tolerate.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 10:10am PST 
I thought they were all Wheat Gluten free... Oh crap. Well these are the ones I feed Hunter:
Tender Beef Feast; Tender Beef & Chicken Feast; Turkey & Giblets Feast and Tender Chicken Feast.

They are all on Alex's website besides the Tender Chicken Feast. Maybe thats the one thats causing him problems? I'll stay away from it for a little while and see what happens. I have to get cracking and buy his carrier incase I need to bring him to the vet for something serious.

I need to buy him food this weekend. I'll stay away from the Fancy Feast and see how he does. What other food is cheap that kitties love, that is somewhat okay for them to eat?
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 12:19pm PST 
Oh those are fine Hunter. If you got those off our website they don't have any gluten at all. But they still do have things like meat-by products, certain other questionable things. It's tough for us to decide which ones to put on the site but the economy being what it is and the way some sick kitties will just not cooperate and eat what they should, we have to at least make some concessions. I really don't think there's anything else worth it. Friskies is crap and I might even take it off the site altogether, I'm not sure. I don't like Purina either. You'll have to take a look at the site and make a price comparison to some of them. Sorry! It's not an easy thing, my momma is struggling with it herself.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 2:43pm PST 
Well, ya came to the right place. wave

I am done with Fancy Feast. naughty

Prowler and Smokey both sick, 2 days apart, exact same symptoms, and a $400 vet bill. Guess what they ate, and it was only those 2, that ate it, yup, the Turkey and Gibblets. The kittens and Smokey will throw up the Beef and anything with beef in it. shock

The kittens can only eat the chicken, anything else, they throw up, store runs low on chicken, so have to give the others, not Bump, oh heck no, mol, the other flavors, which is pretty much all the ones you listed, and other than the chicken, had probs with each one.

You have to read the label, have to. The FF Classic's are the only ones, that are gluten free. And after all the probs, I am done, with FF. Yes BW cans are more expensive, but in the long run, it is cheaper than taking them to the vets, and the time missed from work, which I don't get paid for.

BW cans are $1.39, right now, they are on sale, for $1.09, until Jan 30, at Petsmart. Yes, its an extra $20 a week for me, but, $400 in 2 days, kicked me in the bee-hind. I will find something to cut back on, so they can have the better foodies.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 5:23am PST 
Well, I don't know what happened, but he seems to be fine. I haven't seen him chew on his paw lately. Then again, I wasn't home that much this past weekend. All of the fancy feast he eats is the 'classic'. I make sure of that. And he doesn't eat any seafood/fish etc. I have a few cans of fancy feast left, which he gets for breakfast. If he has a problem, then I know its the fancy feast for sure.
[notify]