GO!

Sensitive Stomach

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pitten

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '08 9:06pm PST 
Pitten unfortunately has a sensitive stomach. Can anyone recommend a really good food for cats with this problem?

Right now I am feeding her Purina Sensitive Stomach Formula - and yes I know Purina is bad - I'm just happy with it for now because she finally isn't puking constantly.
[notify]

Pretty- (Forever in- our hearts)

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '08 9:59pm PST 
Hi Pitten wave

What a beautiful girl you are!
I'm sorry you are having stomach issues and hope you find some suggestions that help.

I recommend feeding a premium grain free wet food like Wellness

We used to have a lot of stomach issues at our house too, but since we started eating Wellness things have certainly gotten much better.

Wet food is so much better for us felines and helps to keep us fit and healthy. cheer

Start out slow if you decide to switch to a new food so you don't upset your tummy.
Good Luck!
[notify]

Oliver (In- Loving- Memory)

Chicka chicka...- BOOM! BOOM!

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 4:22am PST 
Hi Pitten, I have had this issue all my life. When mom first got me 10 years ago, she tried Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro ... I puked so much on all of these that she worried constantly about my health. Then she tried Royal Canin Sensitive 33 on me and I did pretty well on that, only puking several times a week instead of daily. However, last year with all the recalls she really started reading labels and researching brands. She bought a bag of California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice for me to try, and not only do I LOVE it, I rarely puke any more. Actually, she can't remember the last time I did! You may wan't to give that brand a try and see if it works for you too.
p.s. I won't eat canned food at all ... hate the stuff!
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 2:44pm PST 
Hi Pitten!

I would recommend a food with a SINGLE protein source and a SINGLE carbohydrate source. Her sensitive stomach probably can't digest the large combination and variety of ingredients that are in the other cat foods, so her body's natural reaction is to expell what she won't be able to digest.

Thankfully, due to the HUGE pet food industry, you have tons of healthy flavors and brands to choose from! Here are two of the varities I can think of that are made especially for sensitive stomached cats:

-Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck formula
-California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato formula

Basically, avoid corn, soy, wheat, rice, beef, and lamb. Those are the most common allergens in pet food- even the good brands! Venison, fish, duck, or turkey formulas tend to be best for cat with allergies or sensitive tummies.

Best wishes!
~Natashakitty
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 6:50pm PST 
I have IBS caused by a severe allergy to fish. I have trouble digesting hair because of it. Since I start eating Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck my hairball problems have completely stopped. In 6 weeks I have thrown up one hairball (which is very unusual) and I was very stressed at the time. It has been the biggest blessing ever. happy dance
[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 9:28pm PST 
What someone else said: avoid wheat and corn!

Try Nature's Variety Instinct (or pre-made raw), or Wellness.

Me and my brother puked a lot on Nutro and California Natural. Now we only yack about once a week on Nature's Variety.
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Mon Apr 14, '08 1:49pm PST 
Pitten you are such a gorgeous torti!!

I also have a sensitive stomach... Right now I am on Orijen dry kibble and Turkey Wellness (both grain and by-product free).

I do pretty well on them and every once and a while mom tries to slip something back in to kinda test what I don't tolerate, she is guessing it is red meat products.

Good luck finding something tasty and healthy!
[notify]

Pitten

Purred: Mon Apr 14, '08 7:17pm PST 
Thank you! I think I might try Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck because Pitten has problems with hairballs sometimes as well!
[notify]

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 5:29pm PST 
My cat Gizmo has been suffering a sensitive stomach for many years.
I have him on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control (Chicken & Rice) which works quite well for him. It can only be purchased from your Vet and is certainly worth a try.
Also along with that i feed him Hills Prescription Diet(C/D Dry Food)
which keeps his bladder working well.

Hope this helps....
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '11 7:17pm PST 
No dry food if possible. Mine hurk more when on that. Limited ingredients are good -- no grains. Wellness is excellent. I'd try ones with soup or gravy, as sometimes kitties puke when they aren't getting a water balance in their meal (hence why mine hurl when on dry too much). Also -- pumpkin! It's a hairball remedy, but it may also soothe the tummy and ease things along.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2