GO!

Liver disaster, dry food and urinary troubles

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Purred: Sun Dec 8, '13 1:45pm PST 
Hello,

to start I don't speak English very well, I am sorry for the errors in my post.

My cat must eat a food for liver troubles (hepatic problem). But he doesn't eat Hill's Prescription L/D canned. But he eats L/D dry.
Problem : he drinks only 60 to 80 mL of water every 24 hours, and weigh 6 kilos (13,2 lbs). I've must stop L/D and give C/D because he had urinary troubles (crystals).

Today I'm trying to give again the L/D, but my cat still not drink enough.

How can I mix the both ?

60 g of L/D dry and one packet of C/D (85 g), is it a good solution ?

In fact I must give him a special food (L/D), but with one another to add enough water and prevent urinary troubles, but I don't know how make it right, and my vet doesn't know too.

By advanced I thank you smile

PS : how can I have a pseudonym ? smile
[notify]

The Thompson- Zoo

Whatever it- is....we didn't- do it!

Purred: Sun Dec 8, '13 4:12pm PST 
What about feeding l/d in the canned formula and adding a couple tablespoons of water to the diet? In urinary issues it is best to feed canned food over dry.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 9, '13 3:45am PST 
I know, but I've two problems with that : my cat doesn't eat the Hill's L/D canned. He stayed three days without eat anything because I gave him only L/D canned. And the second is with dental calculus. My cat had already have two anesthesis because of gingivitis. So my vet said the dry food is better. But if he eats canned, I'll give him canned like before. But the problem is that he doesn't eat like that, he eats only the dry food L/D.

But with the C/D he eats the "sachet", with more water. So it's perfect, but not for liver disaster...
[notify]

The Thompson- Zoo

Purred: Mon Dec 9, '13 5:18pm PST 
Have you considered giving your cat a Liver supplement" Denamarin is a Veterinary one that contains SamE or you could give Milk Thistle, both of these supplements help liver support.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Dec 10, '13 7:20am PST 
I already give him a liver supplement, with Zentonil Advanced smile Denamarin is not sall in my contry.
For milk thistle, I didn't know where I can buy it, so no I never give him that smile Have any idea from a place or a name product that I can buy for the milk thistle ?

And about food, the problem is that I must give him a special nutrition. But today again, he drinks only 20 mL of water, the other I give him with another food, but it's not good for his liver. No idea about the addition of Hill's L/D with Hill's C/D ?
[notify]

Purred: Tue Dec 10, '13 11:04am PST 
PS : what do you think if I give him only Hill's C/D ? Is it very different from the L/D ?
[notify]

The Thompson- Zoo

Purred: Tue Dec 10, '13 8:43pm PST 
The zenotil from what I googled is good for the Liver. Do you have health food stores in your country? That is where you can find Milk Thistle. Some stores here like walmart carry it. As for the c/d and the l/d they do have differences, so my recommendation would be to discuss it in depth with your vet and see which diet he wants your cat on, such as which disease is more critical to manage with the diet.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Wed Dec 11, '13 3:42am PST 
It is difficult to help you without knowing the nature of the liver disease - has your cat been diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease)?
Most cats don't drink enough water. Sometimes they will drink from a pet fountain more readily - I often let my cats drink from a slow-running faucet to make sure they are drinking enough. Mine also eat wet food twice daily, so I know the fluid intake is adequate.
Is your cat dehydrated? You can tell this by seeing if the skin at the shoulder blades "tent" when you pinch it up. In an emergency situation - when the cat is severely dehydrated - sometimes fluids can be given subcutaneously (under the skin). Maybe you can ask your vet about this. When cats are dehydrated they tend not to want to eat anything, because they feel sick. It becomes a vicious cycle.
Sorry I can't help more. Good luck!
[notify]