GO!

Opinions about EVO canned

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Nikko

Nikko, Nikko- Suave

Purred: Sun Aug 25, '13 2:41pm PST 
Do you all think Evo canned is a good food for cats? Do you trust them now after the recalls? confused I recently went to purchase a few cans at a nearby petstore and was told I should take caution as food too high in protein, such as the evo can cause kidney issues.thinking Is this true? I was under the impression that the higher the protein, lower carb the better! I personally like the EVO because I can purchase it in the 13oz can, which saves me having to open a bunch of 3oz cans (we have 4 cats) ...It also fits into my budget as I can get a 13oz can for $1.95. I feed the EVO for breakfast and solid gold (dry) at dinner time. Eventually I would like to switch all to wet food, but I have one cat that refuses to eat wet...(we are working on it, haha) so, is EVO a good wet food? If not is there another type of wet food you would recommend? We have tried wellness in the past and all cats ended up getting the poopies! (yuck)
Thanks! kitty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Aug 26, '13 5:30am PST 
Evo was always one of my favorites - high quality and high protein. (It is a myth that high protein food is bad for cats' kidneys - cats are obligate carnivores and should be eating ALL protein.) However, Evo was recently purchased by Proctor and Gamble and I fear their reputation may have gone out the window. I wouldn't feed any P&G dry food, but then I wouldn't feed dry food anyway. As far as I know they haven't changed the canned food formula yet.

It seems like all the "good" cat food companies have been purchased by large corporations lately so it's hard to say what would be best. In addition to Evo I always liked Instinct 95% and Natural Balance limited ingredient cans in the past, but recent corporate buyouts have left me cold. One of the reasons I went to a raw diet was to be able to control what I'm feeding, but I know it's not for everybody. If your cats like the Evo and do well on it, I would feed it, at least for the time being.
[notify]