GO!

What is better, ANF or royal canine?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dean

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:47am PST 
I took my cat from a foster family a little less than a month ago. He's been there for two months after his previous family didn't want him any more. He's 2.5 years old, pure-bred british longhair. She fed him relatively cheap kibble, along with tuna, table scraps, and whatever he could get to from the dog's food bowl. When I got him I switched him to ANF anti-furball, which is a super-premium food with no wheat or vegetable in it, because that's what the workers in the pet store recommended. When I checked the website it seemed quite healthy, as dry food goes:
http://www.anf.com/whyanf.asp
I also gave him tuna-based wet food. After a week or two I noticed he's scratching his ears a lot, so I took him to the vet. No fleas were found so the vet concluded it's food allergy (the foster said he didn't scratch his ears when she had him), and said most cats are allergic to fish (?) and I should switch to another wet food. Most of them are fish based so I now alternate between a liver and a liver and chicken one. This was last Wednesday. Yesterday I noticed his lip started to swell. So today I took him to the vet again (same office but not the same vet) and the vet diagnosed him with an auto-immunic disease (I don't remember the name but it's allergy based) and said I should wait and come back in a week and if it doesn't pass on its own he'll need steroid shots. He also said most cats are allergic to chicken not fish, so I should switch him back, and also to switch his dry food to royal canine, they have a special food for sensitive cats. But I looked up that food and it contains wheat and vegetables, which I know are not good for cats. So I wondered if any of you used ANF or Royal canine and could give me your opinion.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:25am PST 
I'm assuming you're not in the US? Royal Canin is not a good food. Both chicken and fish are common allergens. When it comes to allergies you have to feed what's called an elimination diet - 6-8 weeks of a novel protein that the cat hasn't had before. I don't know what brand to recommend if you're not in the US. When BK was diagnosed with allergies we started with a rabbit prescription canned food until he got sick of it, then I used Natural Balance limited ingredient cans and eventually I switched him to a raw diet and he's thrived. You need to find a canned food that has as few ingredients as possible. The other ones BK was able to tolerate were Evo and Instinct 95%, but every cat is different. You can paw mail me if you need any other info.
[notify]

Dean

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 6:04am PST 
Thank you! No, I'm not in the US. Raw diet isn't an option for me - we don't have any companies that provide the special meat for it, it's very expensive if I'm just going to buy meat from the supermarket (not that i'd trust it), and also I'm vegan, so while I'm not going to do anything absurd like switch my carnivore cat to a plant based diet, standing in my kitchen and grinding raw animal parts is a bit beyond my capabilities.
The problem with feeding a novel protein is that I'm not the first owner of this cat. I know he's a pure breed cat who cost the owners more than a thousand dollars as a kitten, but since they've washed their hands of him three months ago they're refusing to answer calls from the foster family that had him before me. I don't even know when he last had his shots, let alone what food they were giving him.
I'm not averse to switching his dry food - ANF state they use chicken, fish and eggs for the protein, so it's entirely possible that the food is causing him allergies - but I'm not sure what to switch him to, since the food the vet suggested seems even worse.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:58pm PST 
I agree with BK that Royal Canin is not good food. But we have a relative in Mexico who tells us it is about the best they can get their hands on. I had never heard of ANF but I just looked at the ingredients of their Senior Formula - and I'm shocked: rice, corn, chicken meal etc. It looks horrible as well. Where you live do you have any mail-order options beyond those 2 brands? If it is a food allergy I would suspect the grains, fillers and preservatives more than the meat.

I have posted numerous times about my early problems (shortly after my adoption). My symptoms were different than yours and resembled colitis. Veterinary diagnosis was a whole other issue my owner wasn't too happy with. Anyway, getting off the grains solved things for me. And just as a by-product of getting off the grains, the food quality was better overall as my owner switched from a couple of common commercial brands to lesser-known niche grain-free brands. The only thing he doesn't give me within that grain-free is anything with beef or shrimp. I seem to handle all other fish and chicken just fine. I really hope you can find something soon.
[notify]

Dean

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 12:27am PST 
Okay, I've been to the pet store, asked to look at all of their grain free dry food. Settled on natural and delicious by farmina - anyone know this? It's 70% organic cruelty free meet with added bone and 30% vegetables and fruits like alfalfa and peas - the pamphlet says it's meant to emulate the stomach content of animals hunted by cats in the wild. It seems there's no dry food that doesn't have either carbs or vegetables, and this seemed like the lesser evil. They have either chicken, lamb or boar, so I took lamb, the vet said most cats are okay with lamb and I don't think Dean's been exposed to it before. It does have a teeny bit of fish in it, but mostly in the form of oil, so I think it should be okay. I hope this will make a difference in his allergy.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:10am PST 
Here's the Farmina web site: http://www.farmina.com/?q=en/content/line/nd-grain-free-feline

It looks ok for a grain-free dry food smile A little too much fruits/veggies/etc though.

What country are you in?
[notify]

Dean

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 11:52am PST 
It seemed like the best of the lot. I haven't managed to find grain free wet food yet, so I don't want to give him too much of it.

I live in Israel.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:44pm PST 
The ingredients certainly look better than what I saw at ANF - chicken instead of chicken meal for instance. Were it for me, my owner would take the chicken, fruits, peas and alfafas over chicken meal, corn and rice any day! This looks like a better option for dry food than what you have been presented with thus far. I say give it a try and see how kitty reacts to it. Best of luck to you!
[notify]

Dean

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 12:20am PST 
Thank you all for your help! I do hope it'll make a difference soon.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 11:00am PST 
I understand that not everyone is interested in doing a raw diet, I was just mentioning our journey. Although the food you've chosen is definitely better than what you had, it would be best if you can locate a canned food with limited ingredients. Fish oil is ok (it's the protein that they're allergic to, not the oil) but all those veggies are not great and can contribute to the problem. There's a great website by a vet that I recommend often because it explains why canned food is so much better for feline health: catinfo.org. I know your choices are limited and I hope you're able to find something healthy!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2