GO!

How much wet food to feed a kitten?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Liriel

No Socks Are- Safe From Mew!

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 3:25pm PST 
My kitten is just over 10 weeks old. She eats Wellness Grain free canned food split into 5 meals a day. I looked on the Wellness can for feeding directions and it only says how much canned to feed an adult cat. So I've been kind of winging it.

I've decided to consult the kitty experts here hoping someone here could tell me how much I should offer per feeding. I don't want to under feed her, but I don't want to over feed her and end up with an obese cat either.

Thanks big grin
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 3:54pm PST 
As much as they will eat. smile

For a kitten this young, I feed two big meals a day (some feed three or more a day), and have no problem leaving canned/raw food out for 8 hours until the next feeding time.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 4:24pm PST 
What Toby said way to golaugh out loud

Kittens should have access to as much food as they want. 5 mini meals a day sounds plenty to me smile A programmable timed feeder makes this easy to do way to go Human has the PetSafe 5 compartment one.
[notify]

Liriel

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 9:56pm PST 
Thanks guys I shall give her as much as she wants then big grin

At what age can I switch to set portions?

Thanks a bunch!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 5:23am PST 
Probably around 6 months to a year old. Just go by your cat smile If there's a lot of uneaten food leftover after each meal, reduce the amount of food. 1 oz per meal is a good amount for most cats but some may need a little more or less.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 11:46am PST 
1 to 6 month recommendation.

I've always got my animals on an 'adult' feeding schedule way ahead of recommended time frames, but 6 months is a good point of reference for most.

I just feed two big meals (once in morning, once in early evening) and started out offering a LOT of food at each sitting, letting the kitten pick away throughout the day in-between feeding times -- I adjust amount based on how much he eats and as he grows older.

Edited by author Sun Jul 21, '13 11:48am PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 12:16pm PST 
Sorry, that should say "Plus 1" -- it erased my plus-sign for some reason. naughty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 1:56pm PST 
What everybody else said - as much as they'll eat and as many servings as you can manage in your schedule. One great bonus you get from doing this is that the kitten learns that there's always food and they're less likely to overeat when they get older.
[notify]

Liriel

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 11:52am PST 
Thanks again everyone! So far so good!
She eats about 2-3 tablespoons a sitting. Thankfully I work from home so I just have a timer set on my phone for all 5 feedings. She's growing like a weed, I think shes going to be a rather tall cat when shes all grown up big grin
[notify]