GO!

Alfalfa?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 12:11pm PST 
I was looking into the Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Pate. I saw that "Organic Alfalfa" was listed as the 8th ingredient. I know that 8th is a little further down the line but alfalfa makes me think cows. thinking
Also, it's used in cat grasses too right?

Everything else seems about right, but do you guys think it is anything to worry about? Is it just another evil filler in disguise?
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 2:24pm PST 
gosh I hope it is not an issue, because I just tried a few of the flavors for mine, and all 4 loved them! It is rare that the quartet agrees on anything!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 19, '13 4:14am PST 
I think it's partly for fiber and partly as filler shrug It won't hurt your cat.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:49pm PST 
I agree with Merlin - for fiber and filler (and maybe for vitamin content). Alfalfa is in the pea family and I eat Natural Balance Chicken and Green Pea or Venison and Green Pea (for example). I think as a fiber this is probably an appropriate choice and contains vitamin D. As a filler it is probably better than rice or some others - and hopefully as a filler it isn't a major ingredient of the food.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Jul 23, '13 6:52pm PST 
Not a filler.....

Alfalfa is the father of all foods. High in Protein. Also has calcium, iron, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and vitamins A, B6, D, E, & K. (Real vitamin k...)

Contains 8 essential enzymes to enable foods to be assimilated in the body:
◦Lipase – fat splitting
◦Amylase – acts on starches
◦Coagulase – coagulates or clots blood
◦Emulsin – acts upon sugar
◦Invertase - converts cane sugar to dextrose
◦Peroxidate – oxidizing effect of the blood
◦Pectinase – forms vegetable jelly
◦Protase – digests proteins

That high on ingriedent I would say it was because of the protein.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Tue Jul 23, '13 8:21pm PST 
Any plant substance in food intended for an obligate carnivore is, in the opinion of many (including myself), a filler.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 3:20pm PST 
Shadow's mom just posted an excellent article about alfalfa on Facebook that answers all these questions:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive /2013/07/26/alfalfa.aspx?e_cid=20130726_PetsNL_art_1&utm_source=petn l&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130726
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 6:41pm PST 
Thanks BK here is a quick link to the subject on Alfalfa in our pets food smile
click here
[notify]