GO!

Is switching my two 1 year old cats from friskies canned food to evo canned food a smart choice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Felix

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:30pm PST 
Hello! well pussy and I, my name his Felix by the way, have been living with our mom and dad for a year now. Who we love and adore, and they love and care for us as well. They been providing us with friskies wet canned food since we were kittens, and I've been throwing it up a couple of times when I was only 5 months and my little bro couldn't never finish it. Our mom was always so worried. Well we're both 1 years old and well nothing changed just little less vomiting and now we're both not finishing it our dinner. And of course our mom was looking even more worried, so I saw her one day started searching for another type of cat healthy beneficial canned food. And she picked evo Which, and we trust her judgement but we're still not quit sure, we noticed it said grain-free. But we're just not absolutely certain she making the right choice.

So we're just asking for a little help, some good advice on evo? or if she is making the right choice? and if evo not the right choice. Can any feline pal give us some names of some affordable healthy canned foods?.

And one more queations please! is it ok to store wet canned food in the fridge in the summer heat waves. please get back to us soon.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:08am PST 
Evo canned food was always on my personal list of high quality food, but the parent company was recently purchased by Proctor and Gamble. I'm sure it's fine right now, but I'm not sure we can trust P%G in the future to continue the quality. It seems like all of the companies that made good food have been purchased by large corporations recently.

In any event, the quality of ingredients would be better than Friskies and is probably worth a try to see if they'll eat it. But if the vomiting continues I would try to get to the bottom of it. I have a little CH girl who vomited almost every day and a lot of people said things like, oh, I had a cat who threw up daily and lived to be 20. I tried various diets and nothing worked until she had a sonogram and the vet thought there might be some thickening of her small intestine. We started her on a course of prednisolone and she hasn't thrown up since. Just our experience, of course.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:11am PST 
I have not fed or recommended EVO (or any NaturaPet products) since they were bought out by Proctor and Gamble. It seems at this time that's when the recalls started happening and have not stopped. Prior to the buy-out, I'd sometimes feed my oldest cat the EVO 95% canned varieties.

I'd recommend you try different high quality brands to see what your cat can tolerate. My cats really love the grain-free Wellness and it comes in many different flavors and varieties.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:41am PST 
We haven't fed Innova EVO in years but back then it was a good brand. A little high in fat which is not a problem at all unless you are prone to pancreatitis, a common problem for older cats with other health issues. Not sure about the brand now thinkingshrug

Switching to a better quality food is always a good choice, if you can afford it smile Friskies is pretty affordable for many peple but if it doesn't agree with your tummy then you have to eat something else.

Human feeds raw food now but keeps 3 oz cans of Nature's Variety Instinct and Weruva on hand. Both cost over $1 per 3 oz can. Both these brands do come in larger sizes.

You can try other brands smile Here's a list of some good grain-free ones: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/774137 The store you got the EVO from likey has these other brands.

Opened cans of food should always be stored in the fridge. Pet stores sell lids for cans of food. O ryou can just put the can in a resealable baggie or a wrap plastic wrap around the can.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:44pm PST 
Clio and I eat only grain free varieties. After adoption, I had some digestive issues that resembled colitis. My owner found an journal article linking rice to colitis in human infants. Realizing that rice is a filler in most standard cat foods, he switched us to only grain free varieties. I haven't had digestive issues since. He also mixes in some Vetasyl (flax seed) with my food. The canned grain free varieties we most commonly eat include : Natural Balance, Weruva, Wellness and Best Feline Friend. More infrequently we get the new grain free varieties of Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Avoderm and Halo. In dry food, we eat a mix of Blue Buffalo, Acana, Go Natural and Now. Although a bit more expensive, we have been very happy and healthy on this diet.
[notify]

Pussy

pussy

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:03pm PST 
Thank you fellow feline friends for the great feed back, well our mom did started to feed us the evo canned it's been three days. And we don't like it we think she going go back to friskies for now. Pussy started vomiting this morning and felix just won't eat it. I'm going back to friskies so I can start searching again for another healthy affordable brand. When I first started searching around I was brought to evo, I may be to late. So thank you my feline friends.
[notify]

Pussy

pussy

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:13pm PST 
Thank you fellow feline friends for the great feed back, well our mom did started to feed us the evo canned it's been three days. And we don't like it we think she going go back to friskies for now. Pussy started vomiting this morning and felix just won't eat it. I'm going back to friskies so I can start searching again for another healthy affordable brand. When I first started searching around I was brought to evo, I may be to late. So thank you my feline friends.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 5:00am PST 
I have to agree, I don't trust EVO anymore, and now there have been recalls on the EVO dry food, I just think there are better choices out there. Yeah, it is probably better than friskies though. It could be the grains that are causing your kitties to throw up, or they could be devloping and now showing a food allergy......I have a cat that is allergic to beef, she throws up every time she eats a food with beef. I feed my cats Wellness, grain free, but not the core (because they won't eat it) although if yours will eat the core, it's a good food. I have had the least issues with any problems while feeding wellness, which is why it is the one I feed the most. But I do rotate foods on occasion. I got a good deal on Merrick (thanksgiving day dinner and grammy's pot pie) and bought a few cases of that, and my cats like it and tolerate it fine, but that one is being elimanted and Merrick has a new food out. It is a good brand to use also. I have also fed Halo, Natural Balance and Nature's Variety Instinct. There are some other really good choices out there that are about the same price as EVO. If you can find the wellness in the 12 ounce cans, it's a better value. Yeah, Evo is probably better than Friskies, no doubt, but I don't trust this company so much, and now all the recalls.
[notify]