GO!

Kitten won't eat kibble without a topping of wet food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:22am PST 
I'm having a hard time getting my kitten to eat her kibble. If I put a small amount (teaspoon) of wet food on it, she'll eat that and then some of the kibble.

Is it alright to use the "tough love" method of just making her go hungry until she eats what she's given? I haven't tried that yet because she's a kitten, and because I'm not sure if that's a good idea with cats. (I've used it on my dogs before.)

Kibble isn't even going to be her main diet, but I do want her to be used to it and to eat it if that's what she's given.

Also, the bag of kibble says to feed 1/4th of a cup for a kitten her age. I know this is a general guideline, more or less might be needed.
And my question regarding that is, is the 1/4th cup for the entire day, or for each individual meal? Oreo won't eat all of the 14/th cup at a time.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:15am PST 
In my opinion you should ditch the kibble - it's very unhealthy for cats and your kitten seems to be trying to tell you something! Check out catinfo.org (written by a vet) to see all the reasons kibble can cause problems for cats. Also, kibble is very prone to bacteria and by wetting it with the canned food you make it worse. Just my two cents!
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:29am PST 
Maybe your cat doesn't like the Kibble, I agree with BK on that one. Also, I know this worked with Mikko, try putting the slightest bit of water in Oreo's bowl and see if the moist is what she wants. Good luck smile smile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 4:59pm PST 
Why not just feed only canned food? shrug It's a lot healthier and more appropriate diet for all cats anyways. Catinfo.org has very detailed information about proper nutrition for cats and why dry foods are so bad (causes all sorts of health problems, constant dehydration, horrible ingredients in many big name brands, etc).

Dry food does nothing for dental health, not even so called dental formulas, It's like a dentist telling a Human that chewing on a hard retzel twice a day is all that's needed to keep the teeth healthy and clean shrug

If you want to your kitten to know what kibble is (a good idea), then just feed it as an occasional treat.
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 6:32pm PST 
Totally agree with all the wise opinions here. Be thankful your kitten wants the canned food!! It is sooooo much healthier.
So many of us have had to fight the battle of convincing our kitties to ditch the dry stuff. Believe me, it can be easier to train a snake laugh out loud
Your kitten wants the wet food, I say let her have it and breathe a sigh of relief that they like it.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 8:35pm PST 
We get a low income and buying wet food all the time, the good wet food, would get pretty expensive. We have some of the grocery store wet food at the moment, because that's what she was eating at her original home. It's only temporary.
But if I were to feed her primarily wet food, it'd be the good brands like Wellness that have less fillers in them. Honestly, even going with those brands, feeding wet food all the time would cost a lot more than feeding kibble from the same brand.

In any case, neither wet nor dry food is going to be her main diet. I just want her to be used to them, in case in the future something happens where I cannot feed a homeprepared diet.

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 8:45pm PST

[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:25pm PST 
I can understand and sympathize with the expense of good quality canned food, it is pretty costly. I was just able to get our girl to make the switch from dry over the past two months. It wasnt easy that's for sure.
There are some decent "supermarket" varieties but you have to really read the labels carefully to find the right ones.
I used to give certain Fancy Feast pate' varieties to my diabetic boy Lawrence before shot time as they are actually low in carbs.

cat on moon
[notify]

Bubbles

Because I'm a- lady, that's- why.

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:57pm PST 
I feel your pain Oreo. Bubbles will only eat wet food (I do a 95% wet diet), and I have a sporadic income (I pet sit and house clean and what have you because I'm a broke college kid MOL). $15 gets me two weeks worth of canned. And I am always hunting for sales on the good stuff too... I buy Natural Balance GF Platefuls for .88 which is blessing. I feed a variety though, at least five foods and I rotate (Halo, Felidae, Wellness, Nature's Variety)...

I understand how hard it is, so I would just keep topping the kibble, but gradually reduce the topping size. On the occasion I need Bubbles to eat some of the dry I bought her for emergencies, I mix the dry and canned... Alot of people don't like this (bacteria) but it hasn't hurt Bubbles... Or any cat I have ever had. If the kibble is wet food coated, she loves it. But plain old kibble? Nope..

Good luck though with your bebe kitteh. I swear cats are the strangest, pickiest little creatures out there.
shrug

I love them though! laugh out loud
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 10:11pm PST 
Will a diet that includes a good amount of actual meat, the rest consisting of wet and dry, be alright? I've been planning to continue with this until Oreo is grown up, to try to ensure that she gets what she needs. I'm no newb to a homeprepared raw diet (my dog's been raw fed for nearly five years), but I've never fed a growing kitten raw before.

I'll look at some of the wet food brands from the store again, so we can maybe get the wet food more often.
When it comes to kibble, if I have to feed it, I feed the best I can afford of the meat-based brands, and I do know to add water to it.

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 10:14pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jun 18, '13 5:24am PST 
Don't feed kibble within 12 hours of raw - the raw gets backed up in the digestive tract behind the slow moving kibble and bacteria develops. Adding water to kibble is also not a good idea because of bacteria. Wetting kibble increases the bacteria.

When money is an issue, you're better off feeding the Friskies pate flavors (under 50 cents a can when on sale) in my opinion. They don't contain wheat gluten and they're low in carbs.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2