GO!

Help! Dandruff!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Smokey

Purred: Fri May 17, '13 12:54pm PST 
So, Smokey has been having bad dandruff problems these last few months. I believe it is possibly due to her laziness and only partially grooming herself. She's getting quite old (15 years) so I don't blame her.

What should I do to help her? I was looking at her skin earlier and it appears quite dried out and flakes would come off if I gently scraped the skin. Her gray fur makes the specks of white stand out quite nicely...

I've heard adding oil to their food might help over time. If I do this, would it hurt my other cat whose skin and fur is well cleaned?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 17, '13 4:44pm PST 
A poor diet can cause a poor fur coat that has dandruff. What are you currently feeding?

Dry flakey skin can be caused by low humidity levels. In the winter time you can use a humidifier in the house.

Try brushing the fur more often to help stimulate natural body oil production.

Fish oil with omega 3 supposedly helps maintain a good fur coat. Salmon oil is probably the most popular. Use only pet-safe fish oil supplements. Pet stores may sell these. OnlyNaturalPet.com has some good quality ones. You can get liquids/gels or pills or treats. Your other cat can have these fish oil supplements as well.
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Sat May 18, '13 12:15pm PST 
Yes Salmon oil would be a healthy addition but you need to start with the basics. What are you feeding him/her?
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:38am PST 
Well, there is nothing else to say but *BATH* As much as you would hate it, its one of the ways. Im not dumb but I've never had dandruff badly, and the only way to get it out that I know of is......*THE BATH* MEOW!! Good Luck smile
[notify]