GO!

A New Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Floyd~ Gone,- Not- Forgotten

I see your home.- Feed me.

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 5:49am PST 
I have been thinking of switching Floyd onto a better cat food that is cost effective, but also decent in terms of ingredients. Right now he's eating whatever riff raff my mother feeds her cats. I feed Floyd in my room anyway, so I figured since Firefly eats a decent food (4Health) that my cat should eat better too.

When he was a kitten I tried him on Canyon Creek Ranch, but the vitamin K in it is disconcerting. But I noticed cat food is a little more expensive, and have been trying to find a cheap food. I would only pay about $10 for a 4 lb bag, because Firefly's food is $4.99 for 5 lbs, but is a decent quality, grain free food.

What would be some options for my six month old kitty?

*EDIT

I also was considering having him on both dry and wet food, but the majority of his meals being dry so he doesn't experience any dental trouble down the line. He is fond of Stella and Chewy's, but I am still in need of a dry food for him.
shrug

Edited by author Thu May 9, '13 6:35am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 9:26am PST 
Actually, dry food does absolutely nothing for dental health confused It's a big myth about dry food cleaning teeth confused It's like a dentist telling a Human to eat crunchy hard pretzels to keep the teeth clean shrug

You can read http://catinfo.org/#Dental_Disease for more info about dental health and diet.

The best way to keep any teeth clean is to brush daily. Use only pet toothpaste and a small pet toothbrush or finger brush. Here's a video of how to brush a cat's teeth: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/video/Teeth.htm

Now for your food question, dry food isn't good for a cat's health shrug Catinfo.org goes into all the reasons why. Even grain-free dry food isn't good. No dry food has water in it which leads to a constant dehydrated cat. Cats don't drink enough water from a bowl to meet their daily need.

"Cheap" dry food tends to be full of fillers and junk quality ingredients shrug They're the equivalent of potato chips, greasy hamburgers, and fried foods. It tastes good and is cheap and it's food you can survive on but you will likely have health problems later in life (obesity, diabetes, etc).

Personally, I feel that if some dry food must be fed for whatever reason, limit it to less than 10% of the diet and add extra water to the canned food to ensure good water intake.

Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw food can be fed dry. The nugget shaped ones, not the pouches of mostly powder. Maybe you can feed that dry and also give canned food? Stella and Chewy's is a lot healthier than regular dry food.

Nature's Variety Instinct, Wellness Core, and Innova EVO are good grain-free dry foods you could feed.

Edited by author Thu May 9, '13 9:27am PST

[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 9:55am PST 
I'm not understanding the issue with vitamin K. Please tell me more. The other nice cat parents will be here soon about dental vs. wet or dry food. But read the other post for food on a budget.

(My mom had a partial knee replacement that resulted in a DVT to a PE. So I know about a reduced vitamin K diets while you are on blood thinners. Forgive me but I hated driving her for the weekly visits to test her blood for six months. So if any of your family members get joint replacements or broken bones look for shortness of breath. Call 911 because it is a blood clot!)
[notify]

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 1:22pm PST 
@ Merlin : Thank you. That was very helpful. I didn't know the wet food causing dental issues was a myth, and I read your links which were informative, so I might be switching Floyd to a 90% wet and 10% dry. Floyd really likes Stella and Chewys, so I am going to find more versions of their food, since I've only come across the free dried kind. I just don't want Floyd to become picky, because he is. So Stella and Chewys might be my best bet because he LOVES it. Wellness CORE would also be a good staple food for the 10% dry. Thank you big grin

@ Brownie: The vitamin K I'm referring to is menadoine sodium bisulfate complex. Which is a necessary food ingredient and causes health problems. I feed Firefly, my dog, food that doesn't use it as an ingredient and i don't want Floyd to have to eat it either.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 4:58pm PST 
Stella and Chewy's is only avaiable as freeze dried raw for cats shrug They used to make a frozen raw food for cats a couple years ago but it was discontinued shrug http://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-products.php There's a couple different varieties/flavors of the freeze dried raw. A couple nuggets a day would be plenty, just for some "crunch".

Take a look at the other thrads for suggestions on good quality foods on a budget smile
[notify]

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 8:23pm PST 
Thanks a bunch Merlin! smile I'm a whiz at recognizing good dog nutrition, but I've never had a cat that was solely mine and I'm feeling a little lost about what his diet should be. But I am also looking at Fromm's and CORE. Stella and Chewys will be a nice surprise in his diet since he loves them and my pet store sells the freeze dried packets for .99 cents. But I will def be scoping out some grain free wet foods for him!

I will also be browsing all forum posts on quality cat diets.way to go
[notify]