GO!

Merrick

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:39am PST 
Hey I just had a couple questions about a bag of Merrick I just bought.....I have never fed my cats this before.....my one cat is still on a wet food diet for the most part after his blockage a while back......but KIKI was eating Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, and it seemed to give her a bit of a tummy situation where her bowls have been pretty loose for the most part....so I decided to try a new food, and picked up a bag of BG Merrick grain free chicken dry food.......after reading online it seems the Merrick Salmon would have been a better option but any thoughts on the chicken? Or anything I should know? As far as I can tell it is a decent food and not crazy expensive either. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:23am PST 
We eat the salmon formula. Tabi has food allergies and she seems to do better on the salmon formula than on the chicken formula. It seems she does the best on the Tuna formula, but the tuna formula isn't sold at the Petco nearest my house.

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 5:15pm PST 
O.k thank you, I am going to keep my eye open for the Salmon, all they had at the time was chicken and it's my first time going with this brand so I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the info!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 8:14pm PST 
You're welcome, Kiki! wave

We also like Blue Wilderness and Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea formula.

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:30pm PST 
O.k thanks again, I will see how she does on this and go from there, but i will definitely keep those brands in mind as well.
Have a good night smile
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:05am PST 
I'm not sure why you would feed any dry food after you've had a cat with a blockage. You'd be better off finding a different brand of wet. Blockages are caused by lack of fluids more than ingredients.
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:01am PST 
My Bengal boys love Merrick's BG Chicken variety the best. They liked the salmon and tuna, too. They did very well on it and their coats were so soft and lush. We've pretty much cut out the dry and have been feeding wet food nearly exclusively for the last month or so. Cats really don't need dry food but if you're gone for a large part of the day it's nice to leave some out for them to munch on.
[notify]

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:59am PST 
Thanks Romeo for the advice!

BK- as I stated in my first post, Winter, my cat who had the blockage is still on wet food.......I said this already! However I give him a bit of dry mixed in once and a while, but he gets 99% wet food......my question was for Kiki not Winter.
Winter has constant check ups and urine samples taken to make sure he is ok and my vet is the one who told me it is ok to give him a bit of dry now and then so long as his main food intake is wet......which I also mix with water to a gravy like substance for more water. I trust my vet very much and Winter is doing wonderful now. And Kiki gets her share of wet herself.

Thank you for everyones advice on Merrick smile
[notify]