GO!

Feeding cat different flavors of the same brand?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 5:54pm PST 
I know it's necessary to switch cat food brands slowly, to avoid upsetting a cat's digestive system. But is the same thing true of different flavors of the same brand of cat food?

My cat is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients (so a more digestible food anyway), and I was wondering if I should give him a variety of wet food flavors (such as Duck and Green Pea for two days, then Chicken and Green Pea the next) or if that could cause stomach upset as well?

Couldn't find any information around the web on this, so I thought I'd ask my fellow catsters. smile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:08pm PST 
Lots pf people here feed different varieties within the same brand smile It won't cause any tummy upset way to go
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:16pm PST 
This is Delyte. I think this would be okay on the high quality brands, but not so much on supermarket brands. A lot of places subcontract different varieties of foods to other smaller makers. Also, when it comes to kitties having digestive or allergic reactions to foods, even one small ingredient change makes a difference. Right now we can feed Stella cooked turkey meat or one kind of turkey cat food--but another brand gives her the heaves. She is definitely not okay with all of the different kinds of cat foods sold as the same brand, as she seems to have violent reactions to something that only occurs in certain kinds of food, that we can't even pin down using the ingredient list. So we can't reliably switch between even different flavors of Merricks or Whole Balance. Because of her, we are basically limited to two flavors of one and 3-4 of another. Separate feedings are impossible here, so we all have to eat the same.

There have also been cats posting here that they became extremely ill after eating a kind of food that they had eaten for years, so there are failures in production more often than we would think.

The vets say that you don't have to switch cats around to different flavors/kinds of food as cats do not need variety in their diets. I beg to differ with that kind of thinking!! shock We are not hogs being fed from a trough here!
[notify]