GO!

food that helps loose weight

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Leela

Leela flys the- planet express

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:26pm PST 
i need some help my cat leela is 22 pounds and needs to start loosing weight i went to petsmart and they told me to get authority brand sensitive solutions becasue she has dry skin. i took her for a vet check and he said shes too big i need some help picking food shes been on "dite" food before from the vets office and it didnt help much anyone know of a brand i could pick up from petsmart that works she has lots of toys and things to do but shes an inside cat only.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:52pm PST 
Read this for info on how to safely help overweight cats lose weight way to go http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

The general rule of thumb to to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight. For a big weight loss, like what your cat needs, the calorie amount is different. A big reduction in calories can result in fatty liver disease. If you need to lose a total of 10 pounds, aim for losing just a pound within, say, 1 month. When you maintain that weight, aim for another small reduction in calories to lose another pound. Make sure to get excercise, too smile

For food, an all canned food diet is best since caned foods are low in calories. A cup of dry food may contain as much as 400+ calories, even supposed "diet" foods shock And since many people just leave a big bowl of dry food out all day, cats tend to eat more than they need and therefore more calories shrug A typical 10 pound cat only needs about 200 to 250 calories per day. Some may need more or less, depending on breed, activity level, life stage, etc.

Any commerical brand of canned food will help with weight loss way to go Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc are all good. Whatever your cat likes to eat and you can afford and can find in the stores will work. Little 3 oz cans tend to add up in costs over time so try to feed a brand that is available in larger sizes. If you want to know how many calories are in a particular canned food, check out this list http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf way to go

Pet store employees mean well but oftentimes give out bad or incorrect information shrug Dry skin can be caused by numerous things and diet may not always work. It's good that your cat went to the vet for a check up.
[notify]

Leela

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:57pm PST 
thanks for the tips my cats used ot be on iams wet food but it made their poop smell really bad and sometimes give them tummy troubles so i will stay away from that sometimes they have some can tuna but i will make the change thanks a bunch
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 4:25am PST 
My cat went from 13 pounds to 9 pounds over a period of about a year. We switched her to an all canned food diet. Before, she had been free feeding as much dry as she wanted. My male cat was starting to have UTI's and could no longer eat dry at all and I decided to switch Beep to canned as well at that time. We kind of suspected she had lost but didn't know how much until she went to the vet one day and they weighed her. I also want to add that way back in the beginning, when I first took in Beep, we were giving her Science Diet food from the vet, diet formula, dry, I didn't know any better at the time, I now know what garbage that food is made out of, but even though it was diet, she was constantly hungry. She wanted to eat and eat all the time. Once I realized that there was no meat in that food, only by products and the first ingredient was even a meat by product, I realized why the poor cat was hungry, she wasn't even getting any meat! As soon as we pout her on a decent food with meat as the first ingredient, she no was no longer starving and eating all the time. Good luck finding a good food. I think a less quality canned food is better for your cat than even a good quality dry.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:44am PST 
Some brands of canned food can cause stinky poop shrug It's probably because of an ingredient or two that a cat's tummy is sensitive to. Try other brands smile Grain-free is a good choice to try. Grains can cause stinky poop in some cats. Big chain pet stores sell a variety of grain-free brands now. For the really high end premium brands, you'll have to go to an indepedent non-chain pet stores.

Limit seafood to once in awhile meals. They're pretty low in protein and many cats get addicted to eating it.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:14am PST 
I also suggest going to canned food but going grain free also. Grains are pure carbohydrates that turn to sugar and do nothing to help with weight loss. You need something with the proper amount of protein to build lean muscle.
[notify]

Leela

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:21am PST 
thanks for all the good tips i will be heading to the petstore to pick up canned food and more toys.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:04pm PST 
Wellness Core original, Innova PRIME grain-free, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck. The other one is EVO but not at Petsmart.....

And welcome to Catster!!!!
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 4:41pm PST 
Nature's Variety Instinct is grain-free and can be found at Petco stores now smile

Many of the regular Wellness canned varieties are grain-free. The cans have a yellow triangle on the label that says "Grain Free".

You could feed pouched foods as well but those tend to be mostly water with very little actual food shrug Water is great but you also need food (meat). There are grain-free pouched foods out there.

You can use this list to see if a food contains grains and other ingredients that may upset a tummy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuOShIHt9dhbdGlGVVdXcWwwT0dkQjgweWZIeE03dnc&hl=en#gid=0 It's a pretty extensive list but hasn't been updated in a few years so new brands/varieties aren't listed.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:06pm PST 
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could not see a Petco in Canada from a Google search.

The food I listed are low in carbs. It is the cAtkins diet. Peas, tapioca, chick peas, potatoes vs. corn, wheat, soy. All are carbs. The lower the carbs the better the weight lose.

Evo turkey & chicken has the less carbs. I personally would not leave a cat on it for years and years. (It has too much phosphorus and ash for my cats, Brownie is now 12. I wish it had deboned poultry.) But it would be a starting point until an all wet diet could be reached. And brands like Friskies Pate ones don't have to break the bank for your crew.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2