GO!

Opinions on "Allergy" Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:34pm PST 
So my cat's been pulling out her fur more recently (no sores or bleeding) & my vet recommended prescription food for possible allergy. Sample Royal Canin Venison caused immediate explosive diarrhea but Hill's Z/D seemed OK. However, it's now 1.5 weeks after her 5-day switchover period from her old food and she's been less and less thrilled with it. Now she just had a fit of vomiting & diarrhea. Calling the vet in the AM to say I'm taking her off and what's the next suggestion.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with prescription foods? I would like to find out if she is allergic to an ingredient, but she's never been as sick as this. Wow!!! I'm actually betting on a chicken allergy and the hydrolyzed liver just doesn't cut it. Has anyone done home cooked diets from their vet? (Would be a riot if this turned out to be all an inhalant allergy. Ugh.)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:12am PST 
Been there, done that! BK started out on allergy food and lost his taste for it. Because he was on an elimination diet (one novel protein) I switched him to canned Natural Balance venison, along with Evo 95% venison on occasion. Eventually I put him on a raw diet so I'd have complete control over what he ate. It's really difficult to get to the allergy diagnosis and then find the right diet, but it can be done. First you might want to consider a dermatologist - BK's saved his life. In any event, every other possible cause has to be eliminated. Some are obvious, like fleas, but others will require skin scrapings and bloodwork. Once you're sure it's allergies, the elimination diet should be started. It can take 8-10 weeks for improvement to be seen. Also, if you're sure it's allergies, ask your vet about Atopica. That was what really helped BK because he has environmental allergies in addition to food. Please feel free to PM me if there's anything you need or if you have other questions.
[notify]

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:40pm PST 
Thanks so much. Right now I just want to focus on getting her back to where she was before this, which was only some increased hair loss. I don't understand how putting her on a 'safe' prescription food could make her so much more of a mess.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:33am PST 
It's Stella. The "safe" allergy food is full of more things a kitty could be allergic to than regular food. I went through the same thing, and have now ended up on eating all meat canned catfood with few additives. In addition to food colorings, I am probably allergic to fish and salmon. But the main problem was all of the corn and fillers in those dry prescription diets. The less of that I eat the better I feel.

I never lost any fur during my food problems, but Delyte did, even though he continued to eat. Switching to grain-free food completely rid him of his compulsion to pull out fur, and he is completely re-furred now.

Remember that switching to any new cat food must be done gradually, as your gut needs time to adjust. You might ask if you could get some kitty probiotics. I am not sure that the ones they sell for humans are right for cats as we have very high acid digestive tracts normally.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon! wave
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '13 9:57pm PST 
Most of what cats have issues with in food is grain. You might want to try any number of grain-free diets. Taste of the Wild is good (also pretty tasty). It's available at Atwoods and Tractor Supply. Merrick's B.G. (Before Grain) is also good. Do you know for sure that this is a food allergy? There are plenty of animals that are allergic to environmental things. Have you had the cat tested?
[notify]

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:53pm PST 
No - vet didn't really mention any testing and I've read elsewhere that it's not very accurate. Wish there was a way to tell. (Thanks everyone for your answers!)

So she's better now and back on regular food and antihistamines, but she seems to lick her lips and possibly be nauseous, which is a side effect, so now she's starting Pepcid as well. Fur seems a little better, but now we're into winter so it could be itching due to dryness.

**QUESTION ON VENISON:** If this is food related, that's about the only thing she hasn't had and I'm testing out some Nature's Variety Instinct and Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea. I am concerned about things like Chronic Wasting Disease and such. Has anyone had any issues or read anything about venison? (God knows I DO NOT like what I see in prescription food: by-products, cellulose powder - sawdust? - yeesh.)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:35pm PST 
BK is a real red meat kitty and when he stopped eating the prescription food, I put him on the NB venison. He did very well on it. It's not the greatest food out there, but for a cat that needs a limited ingredient diet, it's really good. You might also look at Evo 95% and Instinct - they make different flavors that aren't as common with much fewer ingredients than many brands.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:28pm PST 
It's Stella. Remember that you cannot take Pwppcid for too long, as it interferes with digestion and absorbtion of nutrients, and could end up with weak bones and definciency diseases. Merrick's B.G. certainly helped me, but every kitty is different. Purrs! wave
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 2:07pm PST 
Maizy eats the Natures Balance LID duck. But if you have an issue with poultry, then scratch that. She was on the ZD too, and I thought to me there seemed like so much liver in it - she liked it for a while, but man did it make some stinkies too- so far she is doing good on the duck NB dry & canned along with the canned NB venison. I have not seen anything on the wasting disease issue, but I share your concern.
[notify]